1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using adio visual amp as a hub

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DonMaico, Jan 7, 2004.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My tv has only two scart sockets and only one of those is RGB enabled( the other one ,which is composite only, is connected to my vcr ). I also have a dvd player and digibox which are connected to the rgb socket via a scart splitter. I recently bought a Harman Kardon AV receiver and was wondering whether I could use it as a hub. Unfortunately it does noy accept rgb but will accept component ( as does my dvd player), so I trhought of running rgbto component from digibox and back to monitor and use component leads for the dvd player.the vcr could saty as is is.
    Would this work ? Appreciate any advice guys!

2. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to use the amp to switch RGB & C

You need

Scart > RGBC from DVD to amp

RGBC > Scart from amp to TV

connect RGB via component and C via composite

the composite line carries the sync signal

you will also need to control switching of RGB on the TV, by either routing the pin16 signal to the TV, or hard setting it on the set, otherwise it would just stay stuck on composite

You also need to consider pin8 for aspect switching

I had a set of scarts made up by lektropacks and then added the pin8 and pin16 control myself (because I'd forgotten to have it added in)

If you can set the RGB option as a permanent setting on the TV, you probably don't need to worry about the pin 16 signal.

The scart cables aren't cheap, though it is a neat solution if you've only the 2 RGB sources.

I used to do this 12 months or more ago before buying the plasma and going to all component devices. I may still have a set of short cables in the garage, if you're interested let me know.

3. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "the composite line carries the sync signal

you will also need to control switching of RGB on the TV, by either routing the pin16 signal to the TV, or hard setting it on the set, otherwise it would just stay stuck on composite

You also need to consider pin8 for aspect switching"

Thanks for your reply Jason but I got a bit lost here . I thought it was just a question of plugging in leads. I dont know what you mean by hard setting, aspect wiring or what a sync sygnal is or , for that matter, how one routes a pin sygnal to a tv. The rgb sygnal is controlled by the source ( which I can change) . The monitor, however, is just a recipient with one of its scart sockets rgb enabled.
    Maybe I should just buy a scart master controller from JS Technology for £ 49.00. I just thought it was a shame not to use the jacks at the back of the amp.
    Thanks anyway

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although you have set this on the source, if you use the amp for switching you still need to get this signal to the TV to tell it to recieve / display RGB, this is done by sending a signal on pin16 of the scart. If it's not there, your TV will only display composite (even if the source is outputting RGB).

The same goes for aspect switching. but this uses Pin 8.

It'll probably be easier for you to get a scart commander...

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Surely the component -> RGB converter between the amp and TV will have the necessary circuitry to flash pin 16. They're not good for anything at all otherwise!

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no Component - RGB convertor in there

All we're dealing with is

RGB & Sync (which is carried on the Composite signal line)

No conversion, no switching signals, just the RGB&C signals.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I see. I could be wrong, but I thought that on an RGB signal the sync was carried with the G, to give RGcB.

As another option (using the conversion I mentioned) is:

DVD (component out) -> Amp

Digibox (RGB scart out) -> Component conversion box (Component out) -> Amp

and then going:
    Amp (component out) -> RGB conversion box (RGB scart out) -> (RGB in) TV

VCR can be left as is.

All switching is then catered for within the amp, and no problems with widescreen. (Selecting the RGB scart will have to be done manually though).

8. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £150 - £250 for conversion boxes :rolleyes:

Sync on Green is for computer monitors,

Check out these threads, for more info on how's & why's

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...p?s=&threadid=102885&highlight=amp+switch+rgb[/url]

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...hp?s=&threadid=65545&highlight=amp+switch+rgb[/url]

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...eadid=28297&highlight=rgb+component+switching[/url]

BTW, a component to RGB convertor will not be able to determine aspect ratio and switch accordingly, you need to handle this elsewhere.

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    After all that then, the easiest thing is surely an RGB switchbox for ~£40!

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Again, I'm not entirely up on the technicalities, but don't computer monitors use RGBHV? Hence needing a VGA input or 5xBNC for analogue connection.

11. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason, those sites are not attainable ie not found by the server!
    Pity could have been interesting reading. Any way the option of using two convertors at £150 -£200 each is a non starter. It will have to be a scart master controller me thinks! Thanks anyway

12. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got them from doing a search for

amp switch rgb

component switch rgb

Jason