Using a Wireless adapter with my Humax box for iPlayer

RobertoP

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm keen to try out the iPlayer functionality on my new FoxSat HDR box but my router is currently upstairs. Moving it downstairs means moving my printer too as the hub acts as a print server and I haven't got room for the printer in the living room (plus the missus would throw a wobbly! LOL).

What I DO have is a wireless adapter that I used to use on my PS2. Has anyone tried using this? It's a 54g capable unit that connects to the Ethernet port so should be more than capable. Just curious to find out if anyone has tried the same.

:)

Some broadband wireless routers can be configures as "wireless bridges", effectively repeaters but it will depend on the make and model. It depends rather if your PS2 adapter is proprietory and if it can be configured to work on your existing network.

Best advice, try it out and see!

The adapter I have is a Linksys WGA54G which is designed to plug into a device's Ethernet port and then allow it to connect wirelessly to a WiFi network. It's primarily designed for games consoles and as such, I have used it with my PS2. You plug this into the PS2's Ethernet port and the WiFi router just sees it as another network device.

There's no reason I can't see this working (I'm going to try it later today) but just wanted to know if anyone else had done this.

Here is a link to the product page at Linksys...

Linksys by Cisco - WGA54G Support

As you can see, it's not a USB adapter. It's simply designed to connect devices over WiFi that don't already have a WiFi Tx/Rx built in.

Let us know what happens

In case anyone else is searching I just managed to connect my Humax box to my home network wirelessly.
I used a cheap router in client only mode connected by cat5 cable to the box. It then wirelessly connects to the network and I have iplayer and itvplayer running on the tv.
Please let me know if you need any more details.
ian

In case anyone else is searching I just managed to connect my Humax box to my home network wirelessly.
I used a cheap router in client only mode connected by cat5 cable to the box. It then wirelessly connects to the network and I have iplayer and itvplayer running on the tv.
Please let me know if you need any more details.
ian

I would like to know how you achieved this please.
thanks.

thanks.

He told you - he plugged a second router into the Humax box (by cable) and that the second box connects wirelessly to the main router as a client.
You need a second router that can be configured as a client.

He told you - he plugged a second router into the Humax box (by cable) and that the second box connects wirelessly to the main router as a client.
You need a second router that can be configured as a client.

OK, got it now.

Not being a big net-worker, are all routers able to be used as a client?

No - I would check the manuals to ensure it - you should be OK with one that says it will act as a repeater, but check anyway.
Hi Group
I have been using without any problems for well over a year one of these
Ebay Item number: 280616792002

Later

Have I messed something here?
I would have thought a pair of mains adaptors like D-Link Powerline Home Plugs would fit the bill really easily.
:confused:

thanks.

Hello,
I used the Belkin F5D7231 Firmware version 1212ukBELKIN Wireless G Plus Router f5d7231 ref on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 11:59:23 GMT)
because it was the cheapest I could find.

Connected the router to my netbook with cat5 cable.

Load alternative software onto the router from dd-wrt.com
This post gives details
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - DD-WRT micro on the Belkin F5D7231-4 Version 1212UK. Success
but I didn't need to do the telnet stage.

This post gives details if the tftp stage gives an 'unable to connect message'
TFTP flash - DD-WRT Wiki
I didn't need to do stage 6

Once you have the alternative software interface open use these instructions to operate the router in client only mode'
Client Mode - DD-WRT Wiki

Unplug the router from the netbook and plug into the freesat box(mine is the Humax non-pvr)

The iplayer channel and itvplayer beta code worked first time.

Good Luck

Ian

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom