1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Wall (Begginer Q.)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maxb_1236, Nov 19, 2003.

1. maxb_1236

maxb_1236

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im moving in to a new room with a big (ish - about 10ft accross) back wall. Id like to use a projector set up but am on a pretty tight budget. I would therefore like to just shine the projector straight on the wall - would this be too great comprimise? If not what colour do you reccomend painting it? Its white at the minute, but I do intend to decorate before moving in.

Thanks in advance

Max

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How flat is the wall? If it is nice and smooth like it would be if newly plastered, then it will probably be fine, if it has humps and hollows you really need to do a bit of work on it (fill it in and sand it down). As far as color, well that depends on the projector, so which one are you intending to use?

ad

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Buns is right, I project straight on to a wall and get a great picture but my wall is newly plastered and free from defects. As for colour, I would go with white for most projectors but for best results paint the rest of the wall a different colour and also paint a black border around the screen area. See my other post for a photo.

4. maxb_1236

maxb_1236

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice

The wall is pretty smooth - there are a couple of bumps and lumps, but nothing a bit of polyfilla couldn't put right I dont think. As for the projector type I will probably be using a cheap LCD model - hopefully 16:9 but it might have to be 4:3 to fit my budget.

My only other option is an old slide projection screen I think I have burried in the garage somewhere. Would this type of screen be any use in this situation - I suppose the easy answer would be to wait 'till I've got my projector and try it.

Thanks again

Max

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would think you would be as well with the wall in the meantime. Get it nice and flat and paint it white with a black border and you will be flying.

dont forget the panasonic AE200 as a budget machine at about 700 gbp

ad

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search here for 'Icestorm' it will provde you with some good reading.

:)