Using a Video Camera to record TV?

ajbeech

Standard Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a silly question! Haven't got my camera manual with me at work, so not sure if this is possible.

Want to know if I could use the Camera's a/v connections to record a signal from a TV. If its any help, I have a Sony DCRHC40E.....

Does the camcorder have In-puts for sound and vision as well as the standard Out-puts?

Yes as long as your camera has AV-in (Not just DV-in) you can connect it to your TV and record - don't know your camera you need to look in your manual or check it's spec online.

Not all scarts on TV's have an output though so even though your TV may have two scarts usually only one of them will have signal out - again check your manual. A better choice is to use a scart on your VCR since these usually all have output.

Finally if your camera came with a scart to phono adapter you will not be able to use that as these are wired 'IN' (from camera to TV/VCR) - you need to nip to your nearest Maplin and buy a scart 'OUT' or 'Switched IN/OUT' adapter.

According to the Sony webiste, the DCRHC40E has the following:

i.Link (DV Out)
DV IN/OUT
Analogue input

I'm intending to use it to capture the output from a Sky box rather than the TV. It all sounds a bit mad, but its for a project at work - I would have used my video recorder, but the damned things on the blink!

If the camcorder will accept an analogue input, surely the phono / scart adaptor that Sony supplied would do the job?

If the TV does not have a Vidio out you could always take a lead out of the video recorder.

If the camcorder will accept an analogue input, surely the phono / scart adaptor that Sony supplied would do the job?
No, it is very unlikely to work. The pins on a scart lead are directional and the supplied scart will be for you to copy from the cam onto a VCR/watch on TV. As stated, for it to work in both directions it will need to have a direction switch so the phono leads you plug into it can feed video/sound into or out of the cam. If there is no switch then it will only work in one direction, and that as stated above will be to take the video from cam to TV/VCR and not back into the cam.

Take a lok at www.maplin.co.uk and search for product code VA12N £9.99

Mark.

Originally posted by ajbeech
According to the Sony webiste, the DCRHC40E has the following:

i.Link (DV Out)
DV IN/OUT
Analogue input

That last bit says that you should be able to it as long as you follow what we have told you above.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom