Question Using A/V Receiver with Laptop

skaveesh

Novice Member
First of all sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question.

I'm going to buy a Yamaha A/V Receiver (RX-V485 - 5.1 channel). I thought of hooking My Laptop (Asus X455L) to it and my Monitor (Dell P2417H - 1080p Resolution) to A/V receiver through an HDMI cable. But when I go through the RX-V485 user manual I found out that it does not support HDCP incompatible devices. Also found out my monitor is also not compatible with HDCP.

Then I thought of hooking the Monitor to the VGA port and HDMI to Receiver and both running on the same resolution (1080p). And I'm not going to use the HDMI output from the receiver. Both VGA and HDMI outputs from the Laptop is duplicated from the Windows 10 Display Properties.

I attached a diagram which I explained above along with a screenshot of HDMI compatibility from the A/V receiver user manual.

So my questions are,
  1. If I hook the system like in the diagram, will it work?
  2. Will it pass sound through the HDMI to the A/V receiver when the VGA and HDMI is duplicated?
I'm living outside the US and getting a good 4K TV costs a fortune. Yamaha RX-V485 User Manual

jc0a9fcwiim51.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd simply replace the monitor with a comparable display that includes HDCP compliance. At least then you'd be able to use it with other HDMI devices such as a Blu-ray player connected to the AV receiver via HDMI or any other HD HDMI source.

The Dell U2419H is one comparable option:
Amazon product

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes, it should work okay. It is fairly common practice to run two cables from the source device, one to the display for video and one to the amp for audio. You will probably have to enable the AVR as a display in the graphics card drivers, for it to be active for audio (you cannot have an audio only HDMI connection) but you could clone it, so it is just a mirror image of your main desktop.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDMI Input on the Monitor appears to be 1080p/HDCP1.4 compliant - connect the Laptop to the AVR via HDMI then the AVR to the Monitor via HDMI and all ought to work as required.

Joe

skaveesh

Novice Member
I'd simply replace the monitor with a comparable display that includes HDCP compliance. At least then you'd be able to use it with other HDMI devices such as a Blu-ray player connected to the AV receiver via HDMI or any other HD HDMI source.

The Dell U2419H is one comparable option:
Amazon product

Thank you for replying.
At this time I cannot afford to buy another Monitor. Also, the monitor you mentioned does not ship to where I live, not to mention importing electronic devices at this time costs me more than the price of the device. 😖

Yes, it should work okay. It is fairly common practice to run two cables from the source device, one to the display for video and one to the amp for audio. You will probably have to enable the AVR as a display in the graphics card drivers, for it to be active for audio (you cannot have an audio only HDMI connection) but you could clone it, so it is just a mirror image of your main desktop.

Thanks for the reply. Then I'm gonna buy this AVR

The HDMI Input on the Monitor appears to be 1080p/HDCP1.4 compliant - connect the Laptop to the AVR via HDMI then the AVR to the Monitor via HDMI and all ought to work as required.

Joe

Thanks for the reply too.
Dell officially didn't mention any HDCP in their spec or the user manual. Also, some 3rd party web sites have clearly mentioned that this monitor does not support HDCP

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you already have the Laptop and Monitor have you tried using an HDMI connection between the Laptop and Monitor or any other HDMI device into the Monitor?

Joe

skaveesh

Novice Member
If you already have the Laptop and Monitor have you tried using an HDMI connection between the Laptop and Monitor or any other HDMI device into the Monitor?

Joe
I have only tried Laptop and Monitor with HDMI. It works. I don't have any other device that outputs HDMI

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
When the AVR arrives you can try passing the Laptop HDMI via the AVR to the Monitor - it ought to work though may limit which video format and frame rate you can use.

If that is the case and the laptop lacks an Optical Digital Audio Output you may want to add a USB to Optical adapter to the Laptop and run the Laptop HDMI direct to the Monitor plus the Optical connection to the AVR for audio.

Joe

skaveesh

Novice Member
When the AVR arrives you can try passing the Laptop HDMI via the AVR to the Monitor - it ought to work though may limit which video format and frame rate you can use.

If that is the case and the laptop lacks an Optical Digital Audio Output you may want to add a USB to Optical adapter to the Laptop and run the Laptop HDMI direct to the Monitor plus the Optical connection to the AVR for audio.

Joe
Thank you for helping Joe. 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom