1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a UPS with a projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GPMCDERM, Feb 18, 2004.

1. GPMCDERM

GPMCDERM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Living in my house nearly 3yr now and we used to get a the
    power knocked off a lot,not much now but its always in the back
    of my head and don't think it would be too healthy for my
    panny ae100.......is anyone using or know if its any point
    in running the projector through a UPS so that if the juice is knocked if would keep it going long enough to turn it off
    and let the fan cool the lamp --- them lamps are expensive

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,983
    It's a matter of evaluating the risk vs. the cost of a UPS. If your mains supply is known to be unreliable enough to warrant it, then yes. The issue is only partly about the lamp itself; there are other components which may suffer from excess heat - most PJs have plastic parts which may scorch or deform if allowed to warm up. And the sudden removal of power will mean that the residual heat of the lamp is no longer being dissipated by airflow.

3. greenmachine

greenmachine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I us a ups on all my av gear except the amp and sub( bass response can be degraded by ups's). Its great I can watch tele or the projector for an hour or 2 before the batterys get low and it conditions the mains aswell.

Id recommend it to anyone as an essential piece of kit.

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking of this after the power went out last week in the midst of watch Dune mini series. Might have to look into it when I mount the PJ.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    You won't need anything big to support the pj - something of a similar currant/kw rating should do it.

You should test the UPS at least once a year by plugging a similar load into it - a 500w heater or something you know that draws the same amount of current as the projector, and you'll know how long you have to power down the pj in case of a mains fail. It'll also tell you if the batteries are naff and need replacing.

Gary