using a upc with projector to save lamp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gram222, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gram222

gram222
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi...has anyone used a Uninterruptible Power Supply with projector...i tried one but when power was cut projector went off...i could turn projector on again only connected to the ups but i dont want the projector to shut down , i need the fans to keep running to save the lamp......im using in mexico when power can stop...the ups i used was powerfull enough but the projector still shut down when power was cut...any ideas,,..thanks

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,871
    Yes I used one when I had my projector. I tested it with my guitar amp first, then when that worked OK I powered up my PJ (JVC HD350) purely from the UPS and it started up fine. I didn't test it until the battery went flat, but calculated that it would last about 15 minutes, so plenty to shut it down in a power cut if necessary.

Can't remember what brand it was now, but about £75 IIRC. I'll post back tomorrow if I remember the details.

3. SiggiUA

SiggiUA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Projector lamps are not so sensitive. Normally they will survive a hard shutdown. I did it with my first projector for years. I simply removed power from the unit by cutting the power via an external switch. Over 10 years I did not have a single lamp failure before 2000h. (2000h was the specified life time of the bulb). Therefore I would not suggest a UPS unless you experience a lot of power failures.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    But OP does get a lot of power failures!

Also suggest latest lamps work on the limit (especially for 3D), so UPS definately recommended these days.

There are a number of threads on this subject if you do a search.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,871
    I reckon SiggiUA might have trouble trying to sell his/her old PJ on here. :D I certainly wouldn't want one that had been mistreated every time it was turned off. Perhaps that model had a particularly tough lamp, but at circa £300 for a lamp I'd take the trouble to press the 'Standby' button on my remote and let the projector shut down properly. I did only have one power cut when running my projector, but the UPS kicked in and I then shut the PJ down properly.

It's a bit like revving a car from stone cold...I just can't mistreat equipment even if there are some that do it and claim to have no problems by it.

6. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
    The issue with lamps is hot spots due to uneven cooling. If the power goes, get it on the ups within a few seconds and no harm done.

We used to use them fully connected for our 24K Lumen projectors for Cinema in the Park presentations run from generators. These were 32A beasts, so the batteries were good at full load for about 20 minutes. The rule was that if no power could be restored within 15 minutes, we shut the projectors down, as fan only the UPS's were good for another hour or more.

I would connect the projector to the UPS, but buy a decent sine wave instrument grade type instead of a quasi sine wave type designed for PC use.

7. SiggiUA

SiggiUA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I mistreated the projector for 10 years and finally sold it together with the surrounding house...

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,871
    Perhaps it was a metal haldide lamp if it was that old rather than a modern UHP lamp. However, even if it was a UHP lamp: Given that some people find this site by search engines I just felt that it was important to highlight that turning a projector off at the mains isn't really a good recommendation given the issues with some lamps and the cost. I had an early dimming lamp despite being careful to shut down properly, so I wouldn't risk unplugging personally...

9. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
    Shutting a projector down incorrectly does not cause early dimming, but early spot failures where the envelope fails due to lamp hot spots.

Some projectors do not have an issue, as the lamp is orientated in the optimum position. Philips even made a range of projectors without lamp fans, as they understood the lamp cooling so well.

Early dimming is normally an issue with poorly seated lamps causing arcing in the lamp housing. It can also just be a faultly lamp!

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,871
    Mine was a faulty lamp I reckon, but I picked up a new one still sealed in it's box in the classifieds at the time, so not too much of an issue.

Just incase anyone else reads this thread...please unplug your PJs from the mains instead of pressing a button (twice?) on your remote, as it appears not to matter, but please don't ask me to buy you a new lamp if it does fail. :p