• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using a UK Yamaha Amp in US?

pthomson

Standard Member
Hello Experts,

I have recently moved to Los Angeles from London and I need some help to understand if my aging Yamaha RX-V630RDS will work on a US power socket. Reading the manual there appears to be a voltage switcher:

"VOLTAGE SELECTOR (China and General models only) The VOLTAGE SELECTOR on the rear panel of this unit must be set for your local main voltage BEFORE plugging into the AC main supply. Voltages are 110/120/220/240 V AC, 50/60 Hz"

However I don't believe this applies to the UK model. Happy to be proven wrong! The other option is a step down transformer however I'm not sure I would trust one of these units after prolonged use.

sounddog

Prominent Member
However I don't believe this applies to the UK model. Happy to be proven wrong! The other option is a step down transformer however I'm not sure I would trust one of these units after prolonged use.
Have you looked at the back of your own amplifier ... perhaps even attach a photo if you can't spot the selector.

If it doesn't have a selector then you could try to find a repair type shop who can look if the power supply can be adapted; failing that you either need a step-up transformer or to sell the amplifier and buy a new one - when a modern version of your amplifier only costs a few hundred dollars (and $199 for the RX-V377 model from Amazon.com) it might not be worth spending too much on your old one.

pthomson

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm afriad my amp is somewhere between NY and LA right now but I did look at the back of pictures of the European model after googling the model number and couldn't find a switcher. Is the RX-V377 basically the equivalent to what I have now? Looking to pair them with a set of KEF Eggs. I'm guessing the Sub and TV are going to be my next problems...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom