Using a UK DAB radio in USA!!???

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by pompeylex, Sep 17, 2009.

1. pompeylex

pompeylex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi peeps :hiya:

Just wondering, and probably know what the answer will be......

I have a few DAB radio's all around my home, I'm hopefully going to live in the USA in the very near future.........

Question :- will these radio's be totally redundant over there?? or will they somehow work as HI DEF or whatever the equivalent is over there?
    I have FM on them so they can still work with this I suppose, but I'd hate to have to revert to FM!!!!! :eek::eek:

Actually whist I'm here, I expect the same thing goes for my Samsung 40" LCD TV, will this be useless too....maybe a monitor only??

Whilst I'm on a roll, what about connecting a UK VCR? can this in anyway be set up to play UK VHS into a USA TV?

I hope someone might have a few answers......otherwise I'll be selling lots of good stock on here (maybe!!!???) :rolleyes::smashin:

2. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No

They wont work in the US.
    FM will be OK but in the US they use something called HD Radio in steed which works from the FM or AM band something like that any way.

Also satellite radio is very popular over there unlike here in the UK where we have Internet radio.

If your radios have RDS this also wont work as they dont use this.

Your TV should work but you might have to get a mains converter to use this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    The TV won't pick up their terrestrial signals because they don't use DVB-T; they use ATSC which requires an ATSC tuner either in the TV or as a separate external unit.

4. confused88

confused88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If he had a wifi Radio such as Pure or Squeezebox wouldn't that work there too? Shouldn't these work "everywhere" ?

5. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yes WI FI radio should work fine but you may not be able to tune into some UK stations as they block access to people out side the UK which sucks.

6. confused88

confused88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I was in Greece lately and was trying to tune in to Classic.fm on my laptop.
    I got a message like " We have detected that you are outside the UK and unfortunetely cannot listen to classic.fm. If this is incorrect please state your UK postcode" which I did and had np using it thereafter. I am sure a fictional postcode would have worked just fine...However, I had some mp3 songs on my Amazon account that I intended to buy but that was not possible there. I tried to access last.fm and was working but not for free anymore.
    Sometimes it works the other way round. Watching South Park online was free there unlike here, probably SKY has something to do with that.

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Indeed.
    I use a WiFi radio that I bought last March in the USA - bargain at $60 as the local New Hampshire CompUSA store was on its final day of its closing down sale.
    I use it over here to listen to a choice of American bluegrass stations.