Using a TV to check pictures

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Clem_Dye, May 6, 2007.

1. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    We had a friend visit today who was interested in seeing the photos that I had taken on a recent holiday (God knows why someone would want to suffer other people's snaps, but there you go). Rather than huddle round my aging laptop PC I connected my Canon 400D to my 32" plasma TV using the cable supplied with the camera.

Via the composite feed I was quite surprised by the results. At that size, it was quite possible to determine which pictures were really sharp (very few, sadly) and those that were real dogs. Going back to the PC later it was quite surprising to see the difference in quality and does go to show perhaps that the 18-55 kit lens that I have is OK at smaller picture sizes but isn't good enough for really large pictures. It's a shame that the camera can only output composite and not RGB though.

All in all an interesting exercise though and one that I'll certainly repeat at some point.

Clem

2. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Depends on how your Tv scales the pictures. Depending on the resolution of your camera, it should be roughly 2008x3008 (6mp) your TV will have to scale them down to whatever it's native resolution is, which in the case of plasmas can be abit odd (1024x1024).

Generally it's not a great way to determine how sharp your pictures are. Although good for slide shows.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Agree.. My LCD TV is capable of displaying Digital Still Images on USB and media Card ( it has slots) at High Definition resolutions...
    This is not Not possible via a composite video output of a Digital camera

Images displayed as such are often quite impressive ..certainly the not so good ones are shown up
    but
    Although the very good ones always remain so, those which don't seem as good actually appear good in Print after PP at Large print sizes ( up to 10 x12" )
    This Suggests that the TV viewing mode may unduly exaggerate suspect PQ from digital stills
    In fact in video editing programs , Still Images are often "downscaled" to fit normal video dimensions: even so such reduced scale images still produce clear sharp images on a standard DVD

4. tdodd

tdodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    The composite output will be PAL standard, which means a resolution of 720*576 pixels, or about 0.4 megapixels. So, having thrown away a large amount of the original detail by going composite, the TV will then have to scale that tiny image back up to its native resolution.

You would do much much much better to connect the laptop to the TV via VGA-VGA, or DVI-DVI/HDMI if you have that option. At least that way you can match the laptop output to the panel and thus retain more of the original picture detail, keep everything in the RGB domain, and avoid scaling back up from a miniscule 0.4MP image.