Using a tv as a monitor? Stupid idea?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by RussboyG, Aug 31, 2013.

1. RussboyG

RussboyG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently got a new PC & thinking about getting a new monitor.

After 27" & even on ebay most are £130 second hand.

It got me thinking can I use a TV instead? Obviously it would have to have the right inputs but then most do these days & they're half the price second hand of monitors of the same size.

Would only be used for general PC use, no gaming,

Possible? Sensible? ....... Or shall I just go open another beer??

Russ

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,687
    No reason why not, as the basic technology is the same these days. A few things to look for...

An IPS panel is a must, otherwise the viewing angle might be too narrow for close viewing.
    Ensure the TV will take the resolution you want. Some cannot accept an RGB input over 720p via HDMI, even if the panel is 1080p
    Some have sleep and power saving modes that are impossible to switch off, making using them as a monitor a pain, with them dimming or switching off every so often.

I use a 3D 24" "TV" as one of my edit suite monitors and for extended desktop viewing. It works a treat and is calibrated to match the other "PC" monitor.

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,834
    You can use HDMI or DVI->HDMI.
    There is one important thing to be aware of though - TVs are set for overscan e.g. the picture is scaled about 5%.
    To sue as a monitor you need to be able to switch off overscan and not all TVs can do this.

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,687
    You can adjust your PC under / over scan as well, if your TV does not have the option. Both ATI and NVIDIA have this option.

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,834
    Yes but the horizontal and vertical overscan ratios are different, I tried this years ago.

6. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    No problem at all, I've used LCD's and plasmas as monitors. Just set 1:1 on your TV, and alter any overscan fuction on your videocard. No scaling.

I have also tried a "HD Ready" plasma as a monitor, that looks great too. Although I wouldn't want to use the plasma's or HD ready sets all day, but for gaming or watching a movie

1366x768, 1024x768, 1920x1080 TV's- you should have no problem. Use DVI-HDMI or HDMI-HDMI.