• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using a SWITCH for Sky/StopBox/PS3 etc..

oymd

I'm in the process of building my home network...and have a few naive questions, so please bear with me and try to help me out...

My SKY ROUTER is in the bedroom, together with my NAS, and iMac (main computer in house).

I placed an apple AEBS (AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION) in-between the router and NAS, connected with cat6e.

So AEBS is connected to (all cat6e):
1- NAS
2- iMAC
3- Router.

Wireless is TURNED OFF in my Sky router, and AEBS supplies the WIRELESS signal in the house.

In the living room, which is SEPARATED BY A CONCRETE WALL, WEB browsing is OK and wireless signal is fine, but not great.

I want to EXTEND A CAT6E CABLE TO THE LIVING ROOM, and connect it to some form of ETHERNET HUB, that will then feed:

1- PS3
2- IPTV SatELLITE Box
3- Sky HD Receiver
4- FUTURE smart TV
5- Probably some more.

IS THIS DOABLE?

And if so, what is this hub I should by?

Is it a GIGABIT SWITCH?

IT WILL BE A 20M LENGTH WIRE.

WILL THE BANDWIDTH BE SPLIT BETWEEN CONNECTIONS?

AND MUST IT BE 10/100/1000?

IF ALL ABOVE RIGHT, IS THE NETGEAR GS108 (NOT 'E' OR 'T') A GOOD OPTION?

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Correct, an Ethernet Switch is exactly what you're looking for. Since the AEBS has gigabit LAN interfaces, it would be best to get a gigabit switch as well for the living room. They will share the bandwidth, but it's a bit like your water pipes: if only one thing is currently draining it then it will get the full bandwidth, otherwise it will share. Don't worry about it, 1Gbps is plenty for at least two devices to stream 1080p HD uncompressed, let alone compressed video..

The GS108 is a good one, a lot of people go for the (plastic or metal) TP-Link 8 port Gigabit switch and seem to be happy with it too - it's cheaper. The GS108 has a 5-year warranty though, which might be decisive (it would be for me anyway).

Last edited:

oymd

Correct, an Ethernet Switch is exactly what you're looking for. Since the AEBS has gigabit LAN interfaces, it would be best to get a gigabit switch as well for the living room. They will share the bandwidth, but it's a bit like your water pipes: if only one thing is currently draining it then it will get the full bandwidth, otherwise it will share. Don't worry about it, 1Gbps is plenty for at least two devices to stream 1080p HD uncompressed, let alone compressed video..

The GS108 is a good one, a lot of people go for the (plastic or metal) TP-Link 8 port Gigabit switch and seem to be happy with it too - it's cheaper. The GS108 has a 5-year warranty though, which might be decisive (it would be for me anyway).

EXCELLENT!!

Many thanks for your advice...

can you pls tell me what does the GS108 lack compared to its T or P or E models.Will i be losing a lot, as its much cheaper?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
WILL THE BANDWIDTH BE SPLIT BETWEEN CONNECTIONS?

There's no sense of "fairess" in ethernet networkiing, rather than think of bandwidth being "shared" in some equitable way, it's better to think of it being "competed" for.

It's rather like the road network - if you consider the cables as the "roads" and the switches/routers as the "junctions" - the "capacity" of any road in the topology is finite and whether there's "enough" bandwidth or on any given link depends on the amount of "traffic" trying to traverse that link.

So if traffic is arriving at a junction at a rate that outstrips the capactity of the available departure routes, then it has to either queue up somewhere (in better switches with more RAM traffic can buffer there somewhat.) However, unlike the road analogy, but once the buffer capacity is used up, the any newly arrives traffic will get dropped.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom