1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a sub for speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, May 1, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What effect would using a subwoofer on either side as speaker stands do?

Would it sound terrible?

I would like a large subwoofer (maybe two) but haven't got room for speakers then sub, however might be able to squeeze in two subs if I could place my standmounts on top of the sub(s)

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This can work really well.
    Look at older KEF spekers like the 107 and the Maidstone.
    Big sub used as stand and closed box speaker on top.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Spotted Spligsleys HGS-18 & the Merdian sale ad.. why does decent stuff always turn up when you're skint? :(

I've got the choice of- two CS-Ultra's behind my existing Left & Right speakers, or replacing the Q75's (AV use) with RDM two's - to match the Kef 200 and then getting two subs..

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Somehow I doubt the older KEF speaker stand/sub boxes would really put out the same sort of output as an HGS-18, so I don't know if you can really compare them..... A number of companies did this back then - even the LS3/5a had a sub box/stand thing (AB-1 maybe? I could just be making it up..) But these were not designed for pumping out 12Hz at stoopid volumes - more like filling in the 35-70Hz range maybe, as the mini-monitors used on top usually had a pretty steep bass roll-off pretty high up.

I would be wary of using an HGS (or any other "serious" sub) as a speaker stand... but maybe it's worth a try. If nothing else you could always sell the second one to me. :)

Cheers,

Dunc

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,544
    Just use plenty of blu-tak!!!!

6. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For my hi fi I've got my right side Mordaunt Short speaker sitting on top of a REL Q50 after realising this would put it at almost exactly the same height as my left speaker (on a stand). Haven't noticed ANY difference in sound and it's saved me some floor space. Worth a shot!

7. captain chunk

captain chunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my subs are designed to have the speakers sat on them i find that it helps the sound feel more complete :confused: i know you cant hear the difference but you can definatly feel the difference, and they look very imposing:smoke:

heres a photo...[​IMG]

8. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have seen quite a few very good american HT installs setup this way, as long as there are no bad phase issues it is fine to do so.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as long as you are using 6 identical subs! :p how else do you get all 6 speakers up to the same level!

ad

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help guys. I've decided to buy a SVS cylinder sub, as this takes up less space (so I can still fit two subs) A HGS-18/CHT-15 is just too big, at least the cylinder's go up, not out-which is no problem.

If I didn't have decent floorstanding AV speakers I would probably consider dual box subs as standmounts for Kef RDM two's.