1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a sub for music

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by daveb975, Oct 28, 2003.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I am trying to work out the best way to set up my sub (MJ ref 100) for music.

I have a Sony 1080 receiver and the sub is connected by the low level input. Front speakers set to large, sub crossover on LFE.

This works fine for movies, with the amp sending all the LFE and some of the front signal to the sub.

For music, I have moved the crossover down to 50hz, but I actually get more bass response by running the amp on 2 channel stereo and isolating the sub!

Would it be better to use the high level connection for music - this would allow me to run the amp on 2 channel stereo, thus getting full bass response from my floorstanders and using the sub for the really low stuff.

Just looking for advice from anyone who has done this before I go and buy the lead!

Thanks

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have my MJA connected using both high and low level connections and it works well for music all of the time and for movies as well as long as I remember to turn the high level gain down on the sub - otherwise it gets a bit "muddy". I think that this is partly due to the poor bass mangement options on my 811 which only has xover of 100hz or higher whereas I guess 60 would be more appropriate for the Q1s.

I'd recomend giving it a go - even from 7oaks a neutrik thingy is only £30.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Wilber,

Thanks for the reply. Do you tunr the low level gain down to zero when listening to music, or are you running the amp in 2 channel mode?

Where do you position the crossover on the sub for music?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Don't turn low level down as I have an Arcam A75+ for music so there is no low level connection issue. I would expect that in 2 channel mode, you won't have any sub signal being passed. I have the crossover set to 80 hz on the sub. The high level gain had to be set by ear & that takes a bit of fiddling.