1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a stereo amp with a 5 channel amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sceptic, Oct 26, 2005.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I know this has been discussed before but I'm wondering if there have been any technology changes since I last looked.
    Given that a 2 channel integrated amp should be better for pure stereo duties, is there a way to combine this with an AV amp?
    Ideally I'd like to do this without using a switching box.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the technology is the same as before

left and right pre-outs from av amp to stereo amp input. if you like you can connect cd player direct to stereo amp or through AV amp. for movies find a level on the stereo amp that matches the other channels, and mark it, then go to that point for movies. or set stereo amp at 12 o clock and adjust channel levels on amp until it matches the rest.

search and you will get loads of opinions/options, such that a power amp would be better for the purpose

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've had a look but didn't find the answer I was looking for.
    Could you please enlighten me about the arguments for using a power amp?
    Many thanks :thumbsup:

4. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with chedmaster. I use pre outs on my AV amp to my Cyrus 7 integrated amp. I connect my CD player directly to my integrated to maximise my stereo listening (i also connect my sub high level connections to my integrated as I use the sub with my stand mounters for music and dvd ).

I have to switch my integrated to 'AV' input and turn the amp to 12 oclock (which is great on the Cyrus as the volume dial lights up on 10, 11, 12 etc so the volume / gain is always set 'correct').

I adjusted the AV amp to cater for the differences in sensitivity of the amp (think thats the correct explanation?). I had to turn the front 2 channels down by 4db to calibrate with my other speakers.

Result, much improved stereo performance, and movie performance has improved (especially at higher volumes) as my AV amp has less work to do at the power amp stage.

Some integrated amps such as ARCAM and recent CYRUS amps have the ability to bypass the ingrated amps volume stage completely, the integrated can act as a power amp for the AV input (volume does not need to be adjusted).

5. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks steve998. I'll do some research on the Arcam and Cyrus amps. I was wondering if there were amps that that did what you say/
    :thumbsup:

6. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For the Arcam, you have:
    - Delta 290 (some versions)
    - Alpha 9
    - A75
    - A80
    - A85
    - A90

An maybe others but it is a start.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its much simpler to just get a stereo power amp, then the av amp will always control the volume, the power amp just sits dormant, you can even leave it on 24/7 if you like. then run the CD through the AV amp, as long as its a good-ish AV amp it will have very little effect on the sound. I prefer the sound of the AV amp's pre-amp, it lacks bass going direct through a seperate pre-power combo, but through my CA Azur it sounds fuller.

Go to ebay and look for power amps, theres hundreds and they cost far less for the same quality as an integrated, which you don't need.

8. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to disagree with you.

I had a CA 540R and now a Marantz 7400 and I can assure you that the pre-amp section for stereo playback is much better with my Arcam Delta 290.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    what is "better"?

i didnt say the azur was better, i said i preferred the sound, it didnt lose any detail over my nytech pre-amp, but sounded fuller and more complete, to me.

For the same money as an integrated, 2nd hand, you can likey get a much better power amp, because not many people have pre-amps lying around, theres less demand, and all the money goes in to amplification rather than a pre-amp section.

10. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The Arcam A80 looks just the job but it's a bit expensive.
    Thanks for the info.
    :smashin:

11. brokenhat

brokenhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam AVR300 and an A75 Plus with Epos M12.2 speakers mostly using a Roku Soundbridge M2000 as transport connected to the receiver with a coax digital cable. Is it worth doing this (preamp out of receiver to AV in of A75) or is the A75 Plus no better for 2 channel? Also although I know you never touch the base and treble, if you did would you do it on the amp or the receiver? Thanks from Bermuda.

12. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've dug out my eighteen year old cyrus amp from the loft in the last week, and hooked it up to the pre-outs of my Yamaha 5.1 amplifier for playing cd's in stereo. If my understanding is correct, then I am only really using the power amp stage of the cyrus, not the pre-amp stage.

I am interested to see what the sound would be like feeding the cd/dvd player direct to the cyrus but have two issues 1) how would I hook the subwooofer up? 2) would I be likely to loose out by having to use analogue rather than digitial output from the source?

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599

it all varies according to the kit you use........some AV amps preamp stage will be better than a given integrated's, other times the integrated's will be better......best thing to do is as usual demo what you can....heh

dazed, just give it a go hooking it up, if it sounds better then use it....heh...if it doesnt then switch it back, doesnt exactly take long to do ;-)

for the sub part, are your speakers satellites? or conventional standmounts/floorstanders? if they conventional speakers dont worry about the sub, unless your sub has high level inputs, if it does then use those from the Cyrus and use the low level from the AV amp....