SoundVision

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a stereo amp with digital optical, coaxial inputs and analogue preouts
I use the stereo amp connected to the tv by optical
Connect my subwoofer to L / R preouts
I have a 4k firestick which I use to watch streaming sites
I seem to get quite loud dialogue from Netflix says Original 5.1 is ticked in info from Netflix
Bass effects is better now that I have added a subwoofer
With my own bluray rips dialogue is not so good, its too low
I was wondering would I get better audio using an audio extractor like this, see link below
Amazon product ASIN B08ZXNDL1V

No.

What kit do you have?

Bluray is DTS which has no code so down mixing can be hazardous. often just 50% of center speaker going to each stereo speaker which often isn't enough. This causes centralised voices to sound low (the quality stays the same it's just a 'volume' issue).
Netflix uses Dolby digital which coded and most down mixers are conform so the correct 'volume' is sent to each stereo speaker from the central channel.
I hope my explaination is understandable, even if you have a DTS compatable down mixer this problem can persist as DYSdoesn't have a code incorporated. There have been a number of firms employed to resolve DTS down mixing, last time I heard it wasn't going very well however that was years ago when I 1st became interested in this (having had the same problem) however I think there's been some improvements as the lastest VLC player software seems to do a much better job than the old.

Set your tv/sources to output stereo pcm

But strange thing is when I use my tvs Netfix app I can only get a Original sound, which is 2ch then dialogue is quite a bit lower

Last edited:
You could get some good deals on the Arcam SR250 amp that makes a good fist of downmixing multi channel formats into 2.1
I did have an Arcam SA20 but it did not do Digital decoding very well, I found just setting it to PCM was best but then might as well have just used a stereo amp instead, which I am now

Bluray is DTS which has no code so down mixing can be hazardous. often just 50% of center speaker going to each stereo speaker which often isn't enough. This causes centralised voices to sound low (the quality stays the same it's just a 'volume' issue).
Netflix uses Dolby digital which coded and most down mixers are conform so the correct 'volume' is sent to each stereo speaker from the central channel.
I hope my explaination is understandable, even if you have a DTS compatable down mixer this problem can persist as DYSdoesn't have a code incorporated. There have been a number of firms employed to resolve DTS down mixing, last time I heard it wasn't going very well however that was years ago when I 1st became interested in this (having had the same problem) however I think there's been some improvements as the lastest VLC player software seems to do a much better job than the old.
Using the Kodi mediaplayer you can add dB to the volume of dialogue which is handy for Bluray ripped files making dialogue louder

I managed to sort out my low dialogue problem with Bluray rips using a stereo amp.
I went into the media players audio settings under "Night Mode" I switched it to "Comfort"
Now the dialogue is louder and clearer.
So "Alls Good In The Hood"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom