1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Sony KV36FS76 as a PC monitor? help needed.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by penk, Jan 5, 2004.

1. penk

penk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am trying to setup my PC so that i can use my sony kv36fs76 as the monitor, but I am having a few issues and hoped that someone out there would be able to point ime in the right direction?
    I have an nVidia Geforce 2 MX/MX400 graphics card witha tv out socket, it uses a DIN1 (i think) socket. I have the adapter lead that means I can use an s-video cable to connect to the front of my fs76.
    I can get a picture up on my tv screen, but it is at a resolution of 800x600! also everything on the desktop is out of focus, i've tried altering settings and i have some very recently, if not the latest drivers for the graphics card- does anyone have any advice, ie is it a tv issue? or do i need a new graphics card?
    sorry if i have got thewrong forum, but thanks very much for any help

2. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV can only display about 500 lines vertically, so even at 800 x 600, you're pushing things. The Geforce has to slightly compress the picture to make it fit. Is your desktop set to 1024 x 768 normally? If so, maybe the Geforce is scaling that down to TV size, which would lead to pretty unreadable text.

That said, I'm running 800 x 600 on my KV36FS76 and I get quite good results. Make sure you set the Sony to the "Movie" brightness level -- this seems to change some internal sharpness setting that makes the text much easier to read.

Other useful tricks are to increase your system font size. If you're planning on using this as your primary display though, you'll be disappointed - I find it hard work for anything other than queuing up MP3s, playing the occasional DVD, and starting games.

Eddy

3. penk

penk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    EddyC
    Thanks for your help, i'll have to try the movie setting when i get home tonight!
    could i ask which graphics card you use? As I know that the graphics card that i'm using isn't exactly a high spec one.
    thanks

4. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a HushPC with a mini-ITX motherboard that includes onboard video; I'd expect the Geforce to be at least as good...

Eddy