Using a Sonos Connect to feed Dynaudio Active Speakers?

mikes48

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to buy a pair of high quality active speakers to replace my old Technics system and my Sonos speakers. Budget £2-3k.

Next week I'm auditioning the Dynaudio Xeo20, and also the Dynaudio Focus 20XD, which is over budget but if the sound matches the price I might be tempted.

Both the Dynaudios have slightly restricted inputs, which they overcome by offering an add-on box, called the Dynaudio Connect, for £295, giving full wi-fi capabilities, which for me is essential.

Thing is, I've got a Sonos Connect, which has optical and coax digital out, as well as analogue RCA in and out, and two network sockets, so my question is, will the Sonos Connect likely do the same job as the Dynaudio Connect?

TIA.

jamieu

I'd keep the Sonos Connect rather than getting active speakers with in-built streaming, as that is the first area of tech likely to move on and leave you with out-of-date speakers, ditto the app — if it's not the company's core focus like it is say for Sonos - could disappear a year or two down the line without notice.

But I like the idea of fully active speakers with a digital input, fed by the Connect.

Another option...you might be able to find a pair of Genelec 8831 SAM within budget if you look around, might be worth auditioning.

Three way, point source, studio grade speakers, with digital AES inputs to hook up to your Connect. You can also buy (or see if someone will throw it in as part if a deal) the optional GLM room correction kit later on if you want, to fully calibrate them in your room. Just another option to throw into the mix.

(and no it doesn't look like the Dynaudio Connect would entirely replace the Connect as it only has DNLA and Bluetooth)

DT79

I'm looking to buy a pair of high quality active speakers to replace my old Technics system and my Sonos speakers. Budget £2-3k.

Next week I'm auditioning the Dynaudio Xeo20, and also the Dynaudio Focus 20XD, which is over budget but if the sound matches the price I might be tempted.

Both the Dynaudios have slightly restricted inputs, which they overcome by offering an add-on box, called the Dynaudio Connect, for £295, giving full wi-fi capabilities, which for me is essential.

Thing is, I've got a Sonos Connect, which has optical and coax digital out, as well as analogue RCA in and out, and two network sockets, so my question is, will the Sonos Connect likely do the same job as the Dynaudio Connect?

TIA.
Check whether you can feed a digital signal into the speakers and then use a volume control built in to the speakers themselves. If so, then connecting a Sonos Connect directly to a pair of active speakers like this would be a very elegant and excellent solution.

However if you can’t do that and would be reliant upon adjusting the volume on the Sonos then, you can definitely do it, having first ensured that you set the volume to ‘variable’ on the Connect. However I’m not sure that’s ultimately going to be the highest quality way of doing it if you’re buying a pair of active speakers at this level. You could connect the Connect to the Focus 20XDs via Coax (not sure about the Xeos), but then when you adjust volume you’ll be chucking away bits and reducing dynamic range. If you hook it up analogue, then the Connect is not going to be a great analogue pre-amp.

Considering what you’re already spending and the potential of that kit (especially the Focus 20XDs) best to pay the extra £300 and get the Dynaudio Connect box.

mikes48

Distinguished Member

TIA.
Check whether you can feed a digital signal into the speakers and then use a volume control built in to the speakers themselves. If so, then connecting a Sonos Connect directly to a pair of active speakers like this would be a very elegant and excellent solution.

However if you can’t do that and would be reliant upon adjusting the volume on the Sonos then, you can definitely do it, having first ensured that you set the volume to ‘variable’ on the Connect. However I’m not sure that’s ultimately going to be the highest quality way of doing it if you’re buying a pair of active speakers at this level. You could connect the Connect to the Focus 20XDs via Coax (not sure about the Xeos), but then when you adjust volume you’ll be chucking away bits and reducing dynamic range. If you hook it up analogue, then the Connect is not going to be a great analogue pre-amp.

Considering what you’re already spending and the potential of that kit (especially the Focus 20XDs) best to pay the extra £300 and get the Dynaudio Connect box.
Thanks guys :smashin:

Not easy, is it?

I'm leaving for the demo shortly, and I'll see what the dealer says on the two 'Connect'. They're selling the Xeo 20s at the retail price of £1,999, and the Focus XD 20s are £900 below retail at £3,600, so it's a big difference, but not a massive one if the sound quality is that much better - we'll see.

Further factor is that Mrs S says she'd be OK with floorstanders, which surprised me :eek: . So that might bring the Xeo 30s in at about £2,900 (room is 25 sq m).

I'll be back :)

DT79

Thanks guys :smashin:

Not easy, is it?

I'm leaving for the demo shortly, and I'll see what the dealer says on the two 'Connect'. They're selling the Xeo 20s at the retail price of £1,999, and the Focus XD 20s are £900 below retail at £3,600, so it's a big difference, but not a massive one if the sound quality is that much better - we'll see.

Further factor is that Mrs S says she'd be OK with floorstanders, which surprised me :eek: . So that might bring the Xeo 30s in at about £2,900 (room is 25 sq m).

I'll be back :)
Very interested to hear your experience! I have long coveted the Focus 20XDs.

jayoc2k

Standard Member
Curious as to your findings.

I have the Xeo 3 and just bought the Kef r3.

I have an old Apple Airport Express with optical out, this is connected to the Xeo Link box in a separate room, that Xeo link box beams the signal wirelessly to the Xeo 3 in the living room.

I have a second Apple
Airport Express connected to an Amp driving the Kef in the rear of the house.

The kef r3 is way better then the Xeo 3, but in a small room, I prefer the Xeo 3, producing a more 'danceable' sound with its DSP 'enhanced' bass and good sound coverage, not to mention it is not too detailed so you are not overly drawn into analysing the music, you just enjoy it. The r3 needs space and is more of an analytical sound, you listen 'into' the music. All have their place

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Well I bought the Focus XD20s and stands but they won't be delivered until 6 January, so I'll report back after then. Can't wait :clap:

DT79

Well I bought the Focus XD20s and stands but they won't be delivered until 6 January, so I'll report back after then. Can't wait :clap:
Nice. Please do!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Using a CONNECT set to variable works well with Active Speakers - the SONOS control App is usually more intuitive and user friendly than most ‘inbuilt’ Apps.

Joe

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Using a CONNECT set to variable works well with Active Speakers - the SONOS control App is usually more intuitive and user friendly than most ‘inbuilt’ Apps.

Joe
That sounds very promising Joe.

I only bought the Sonos Connect on the dealer's assurance - and I did raise it with him - that there would be no latency issues when using it to play my Technics/Tannoys simultaneously with my Sonos speakers in the living room adjoining my study. Well he was wrong by 75ms, which is enough to send your head spinning when moving from one room to the other. Of course I may not have made my intentions perfectly clear to him, but the upshot was that I've never used the S Connect beyond that first trial.

So it'll be great if the S Connect does the job. I paid about £370 for it iirc, which up to now has been a waste of money. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SONOS works hard to keep all Zones in sync - if the connect is going through an Amp which has onboard processing try disabling the processing in the Amp.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom