using a seperate amp for stereo??

X

x man

Hi
please can any one help i have the sony str 940 but want to use my alternative power amp and seperate processor to drive the front speakers only(centre & rears will be driven from the 940) can i do this using the pre-outs?? and how do i connect this up.??? which sockets need connecting from the 940??......................obviously i want to control the fronts indepenently using the seperate processor with the power amp to adjust volume etc........

Thanks

x man

You connect the pre outs into your pre amp, any of its spare inputs will do. Then you select this input when you want to do cinema.

ad

Cheers Buns,
here is my problem i have run interrconnects from the pre out sockets on the sony reciever into the back of the seperate processor into the dvd or cd and selected this input inputs but i am getting no stereo through to the power amp obviously i need to feed into the processor to control volume and not direct to the amp am i missing something?? i guess the pre-out lh & Rh front outputs should just be out putting stereo 5.1 info ( ie no centre & rear info) and all i should do is close down the fronts on the Sony??.........

any help??

well no help cos im confused! But i'll do my best! :D

How i do it. Preouts of my AV amp, into my pre amp. The only thing i listen to in stereo is my cd player. I connect its analogue output into the preamp. to listen to the cd player, i simply select the source.

Have you connected your stereo source directly to the stereo processor? This would probably be the easiest way to do it if that is possible. I assume you have your source connected to the sony amp and not the other processor?

Just keep posting and we'll sort it out!

ad

What seperate processor? I guess you mean pre-amplifier!?

Normally connect like this:

Front Pre-Outs from AV amplifier to free line level input (e.g. AUX) of your stereo amp or, like in your case, to the pre-amplifier.
Pre-amplifer connects to power amplifier.
Front speakers connect to power amplifier.
Center and rear speaker(s) connect to AV amplifier.
All AV sources (DVD, VCR ...) connect to AV amplifier.
All stereo sources (CD, Tuner ...) connect to pre-amplifier.

Naturally there are no speakers connected to the front channels of the AV receiver (your Sony 940), so the internal amplifier stages become redundant (and cannot be used for any other purpose).

Originally posted by Reiner
What seperate processor? I guess you mean pre-amplifier!?

i have been assuming this too......

ad

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys everything is working

hope i can help you out on something in the future

x man

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom