1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a scaler with tv signal

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stritiknaf, Jul 11, 2005.

1. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, let me just state upfront that i'm a newbie in any matters regarding scalers.

What i know about them, is from reading stuff here on the forum and on the internet, and from the research i made with some scaller sellers.

My question is this:

I am on the process of buying a plasma (Samsung PS42S5H Hi-Def model).
    It will be used mainly (70% of the time) to watch TV (i have a cable feed, ariel conection). I want to connect my computer to it to use it as a dvd player, divx/xvid player, and other stuff.

1st question:

Do i have any real improving in picture quality if i use a scaler with the cable source? In other words, can the tv signal be improved with a scaler? (I had a talk with a Cinemateq scaller seller and he told me it was useless with this type of signal)

2nd question:

Can i use a scaler as a "bridge" between my computer and my tv? This is, i want to get the best signal possible from my computer (want to use it as an htpc, and want to watch a lot of movies and series). Do i/can i get a better picture with computer/scaller/tv connection or computer/tv direct connection?

3rd question:

Can i use a scaller to convert my tv connection (ariel) in a dvi or rgb connection??

And this is it!!!

Thank you in advance for your help, and i hope i can get this questions resolved so that i can put together my tv set (the perfect tv set, this is :):) )

Regards from Portugal.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The cable service you have (with RF output only) is going to be very poor I'm afraid. Digital cable or Freeview or Sky would be a much better solution if possible where you live. However if not I guess you can still improve on it.

But a scaler doesn't seem the thing for you. Setting up a *well specified* PC can give you the same kind of performance you will expect from a video processor with the right software/hardware combination etc (I know nothing in this regard, but this forum and others is a godsend!).Since you want to use PC for browsing and DVD playback anyway this makes more sense (and it can act as a personal video recorder). Just think of the plasma as a monitor for your PC rather than a telly, get a TV tuner card for the PC to recieve the cable input, and run DVD from the PC direct to the screen.

There would be no advantage in having a scaler in-between PC and plasma. I still prefer the simpler approach of having a scaler do my video processing, but if the PC is going to be used anyway then you might as well run everything through it!

3. stritiknaf

stritiknaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the prompt answer, liam :)

Is there any other thing (except the computer) that can improve a tv signal?

I only ask because i would like to find something to replace that function on the pc....

Thanks again for all the input :)

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you're looking to replace the PC, then you'll need to go back to the scaler idea to give high quality video processing. This will need a DVD player feeding it for DVD playback, but is still going to be limited with that analogue cable system. It might be an idea to go for the Plasma Enhancer range of processors simply because of their internal tuner which would likely give the best results from an RF feed.

Are you able to get a new cable or sattelite service? Whatever the improvement I think the analogue cable signal is still going to look very weak on your plasma compared to digital TV services, with or without external processing.