1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a scaler with a seleco svp 400 ht crt projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ros51, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I am currently connecting the seleco to a non-progressive pioneer 656a dvd player using s-video. The seleco has an internal line doubler which is always activated. I wonder if anybody has advice for getting more out of the projector? Should I connect to the projector using its RGBHV BNC inputs? I assume that I need to replace my dvd player if I do this as it only has RGB component ouputs....is this correct? Would a scaler offer any improvement, and if so which should I be considering? I wonder if the seleco's own line doubler is doing the same job as a scaler although I believe that a scaler would bring additional benefits?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    ros51

I would consider a Lumagen VisionDVI + Installation/Calibration as an ideal partner for your Seleco CRT.

I'd also hold off on replacing your DVD player until you've given it a go with the Lumagen - even using S-Video from your player will be a bit of a revelation once you have the Lumagen 'dialled in' for Optimum performance with your projector.

Best regards

Joe

PS More likely your DVD player Outputs YUV 'Component' and RGB via SCART.

3. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I believe the dvd player does output what you have suggested. I understand that the seleco's internal up convertor is a 'fairly basic' bit of hardware (it's about 7 years old now) so I assume that switching this off and letting the lumagen do the work is the better option. I am a little confused by the idea that the scaler would give twice the resolution of the up convertor though as it seems that the up convertor doubles the number of lines anyway. Do you have any recommendations wrt connections. One suggestion seems to be to connect the scaler to the projector's vga input using a dvi-vga adapter. This sounds potentially good. Any suggestions?

4. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I now wonder if the the projector's up convertor (line doubler) should actually be used together with the scaler. The scaler would work on the input from the dvd player to improve the image/resolution and then the seleco's own line doubler would work on the output from the scaler? Would that give the best results?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello ros51

The Line Doubler in your projector will be pretty much redundant once you introduce the Lumagen processor.

The choice of Output setting you use on the Lumagen will very much depend on which 'look' you prefer - I'd guess setting the Lumagen to Output 576P may be your best option.

The Lumagen is much more than a Scaling engine so once configured and calibrated expect big changes to your colour balance, contrast, detail levels in dark scenes etc

Some folk would prefer to install the Optional BNC Analogue outputs to the Lumagen for using with your CRT - though using the DVI-I Output plus a suitable adapter/cable for RGBHV is equally as viable.

Best regards

Joe

6. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Joe. Do you have any thoughts on a used iscan pro which is a much cheaper option? I am wondering, should I go for isf calibration of the projector in the first instance and does calibration need to be repeated evry couple of years?

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello ros51

The DVDO iScanPro is unlikely to offer anything very much in terms of image quality over the Line Doubler in your projector.

You'd have to consider the iScanHD or HD+ if you want something worthwhile.

Calibration is always worthwhile - especially once you settle on a system configuration your going to live with for a while.

Your projector is gradually wearing out its tubes so changes do occur and it is worth revisiting the set up every once in a while - if your keen you can always go down the DIY route for subsequent adjustments; see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232989

Best regards

Joe

8. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Joe. I have received another post on the crt area which indicates that isf calibration may not be the best idea until the 'whole system' is in place. In other words, I ought to have the lumagen in place then go for calibration so that everything is calibrated at once. Can you advise me about this? Also, to clear up any confusion, is the best way to connect all the equipment (without replacing the dvd player) to go dvd - lumagen via s-video then lumagen - seleco via dvi and vga adapter? Maybe that is down to preference rather than discernable quality improvement?

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi Joe, hope you are well.

Just wanted to say that the iScan Pro does make a big difference to the 400 picture. It's a massive step up compared to the Seleco doubler.

There's no doubt the Lumagen goes the next step, but a s/h iScan Pro is a very worthwhile upgrade to any Seleco owner using the internal line doubler. :)

Regards

10. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    ros,

As one of those doing ISF calibration in the UK I would have to agree with the advice that you say you have received on another thread (though I haven't seen it). Much as I would like to charge twice for my services in reality it makes sense to get all the hardware in place then calibrate the whole chain in one go. Setting up a Lumagen is essentially an ISF calibration, so it doesn't make sense to do the projector then at a later date do the Lumagen, unless budget dictates that the scaler has to come well after the projector calibration.

11. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Many thanks for all the posts everybody! I now need to decide between the iscan pro and the lumagen with calibration. I simply need to accept that the cost will be proportional to the benefits and then take the plunge. I would appreciate any final advice to help me choose, and especially appreciate any comments about the iscan ultra which has received some negative comments in other threads. I'd like to mention the great help I've received from Gordon at convergent av too. Thanks all!!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello all

Chris - I'm surprised the Pro will make such an impact; though at about £100 for one its a good option. The benefits are going to be restricted to mostly improving the deinterlacing (see notes below on what else a modern processor can offer).

ros51 - keep in mind the Pro and the Ultra, though similar, are not one and the same unit and I guess an Ultra is likely to be nearer £250 these days.

When to calibrate? - Its really a matter of timing! How long do you live with a non calibrated Projector knowing you may install a Video Processor at some stage in the future!!!

Keep in mind too that the degree of accuracy a calibration technician can achieve when calibrating will be greatly increased using the adjustment options you get within a modern 'Firmware driven' Video Processor - with the latest firmware from Lumagen for example you have an 11-point Grey Scale adjustment; there is nothing vaguely similar available with an iScan Pro or Ultra.

Connectivity - this is going to potentially vary depending on which Video Processing option you go with and how many source devices and what Output options those sources offer you!

Your Pioneer DVD player has the option of Component (YUV), SCART (RGB) and S-Video out. As S-Video is the lowest quality option I'd suggest you look at interlaced YUV as your best option with the iScan Pro, Ultra, HD, HD+ and VisionDVI.

With a SKY (or similar) Digibox you don't have YUV (only Composite, RGB and sometimes S-Video).

If you want to use RGB (which is superior to S-Video) the likes of the iScan Pro and Ultra don't give you that option and require an additional RGB2YUV converter (at extra cost) whereas the iScan HD, HD+ and VisionDVI do offer you direct connection of RGB sources.

Whilst the older iScan Pro and Ultra may look to be a bargain they are not in the same league as the newer DVDO and Lumagen kit and could end up costing you more to fully integrate in the long run and certainly wont be a match for the newer DVDO and Lumagen models.

Best regards

Joe

13. ros51

ros51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Well. I went for the lumagen dvi with isf calibration in the end and wow! It has brought a whole new lease of life to the seleco 400. Smooth panning, better colours and clarity. The image has an almost 3D quality to it. We're really delighted and would recommend the upgrade. Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV is an absolute star and completed an excellent job for us. I cannot recommend him enough. First class knowledge and first class service. Cheers Gordon!!