1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a scaler for image sizing on dvi?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Murray, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is using a scaler the best way to get control of the picture sizing the best way to go when outputing dvi to my projector?
    As you dont have control of the picture sizes when using dvi I want to know if using say the iscan is the best way for me to go?
    Ive tried the iscan hd out and it certainly does fix the 'locked in' picture size size one gets when using dvi on players and projectors but you can only do it by feeding into the iscan hd with component and then out to the projector in dvi. If you use the dvi in and the dvi out on the iscan hd you no longer have control over the picture sizing. Does it work if you have the newer model iscan hd+?
    Im reading here that its not good to scale an already scaled picture is that right?
    If thats the case maybe I dont need the iscan hd+ model using the dvi in and the dvi out. Just go into the iscan hd model in component then out in dvi, true?
    Im really wanting to have the picture sizing facility more so the scaling as I have a good player and projctor anyway.
    Any thoughts to help me please? :lease:

2. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    still no brillant answers for me :lesson:

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,940
    Hello Murray

Usually your aiming to set a 'Global' output that best matches the Video Processor to your Display - if your Display allows it you try and output its Native Pixel and Refresh rate to minimise any video reprocessing within the Display (not always possible as many Displays don't support Native rate via DVI or HDMI).

Once you set the 'Global' Output you then adjust on a Per Input basis to best 'fill' the screen with your source image - you may want to vary the amount of 'overscan' you apply to say a DVD source over a Digibox source as the Digibox may have 'ragged' edges if you displayed the 'full' image.

With the DVDO iScanHD DVI Input unless your inputting a signal its designed to process (very limited support)its merely acting as a switch so the 'size' of the Source image is left unaltered - this will be the case too with the HD+ unless your using one of the supported signs now available for processing via the DVI input on the HD+.

See http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishd_hdcp.html

Looking forward to SKY HD and the possibility of a 720P signal with HDCP applied you may want to put the Lumagen VisionHDP on your shopping list - as this unit can Input 720P with HDCP and scale and process up to 1080P.

Best regards

Joe