Using a receiver as a subwoofer equalizer (Sony 1070/1080)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ceejay, Aug 7, 2002.

1. ceejay

ceejay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yesterday I replaced the PSW2000 subwoofer that came with my KEF HTS-2005 set with a Yamaha YST-SW800.
    It's a nice piece of equipment, but I have a problem with it that I hadn't noticed (or payed attention to) with any of my previous subs (the KEF and a RELQ100E) :
    first I noticed when using the THX optimizer on SWTPM that during the frequency sweep there were two areas where bass was much louder than it was supposed to be.
    I took my SPL-meter and played around a bit using that CD with sinewaves from 16Hz up to 125 Hz with steps of 1/6 octave, and noticed that at 50 Hz the sub played 11 dB louder, and at 70 Hz 7db. All the rest was within 4 dB of the previous one. The peak at 50 Hz is quite annoying, and repositioning the sub doesn't help very much either. The freq. response graph shows some differences, but the +11 dB @ 50 Hz is always there...

Now my question is : I have read that the new(er) Sony receivers have an EQ onboard. I'm planning to buy a 1080 as soon as it comes out, but I imagine the 1070 will be the same in that area. Can this EQ be used to flatten the 50 Hz peak out? How adjustable is it? How many bands has it got and what are they?Are the frequencies fixed, or can you use it on whatever frequency you like?

I would really appreciate it if someone who has a Sony STR-DB1070 or similar could figure that out for me...

thanks,

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've got the 1070 and also I have on loan, with a view to buying, the YST-SW320. I think I know what you're going on about - but could you just clarify and I will have a look for you?:p

3. ceejay

ceejay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

what I wanted to say was :

If I'm not mistaken, the 1070 has an EQ onboard... If it doesn't, forget my question then..
    If it has however, could you check the following for me :
    - what are the bands that can be controlled by the EQ (eg. 63 Hz, 400 Hz, ...)
    -are these bands user-adjustable? (Can you tell the EQ not to work at say 63 Hz, but 50 Hz for the lowest band)

thanks in advance...