1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using a radio as an amp??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by disastermaster, Mar 12, 2004.

1. disastermaster

disastermaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, does anyone know how to add an input socket (3.5mm?) to an old portable battery radio. Basically I want to use a radio(that is small enough to carry in my toolbox) at work as an amp for my minidisc player. Can you jump on to the amplification side of the radio and disable the actual radio side. I know that all radios will be different, but before I get deeper into models etc I just want to know if it can be done and what help is available.

TIA Disastermaster.

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try the volume control,normaly the signal in is on one side, signal out the middle pin and earth on the third pin,

3. disastermaster

disastermaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info I didnt realise it could be that simple! So that means that the volume control is prior to the amp circuit.

Thanks Disastermaster.

4. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends on the circuit layout but in genral the volume control is between the tunner stage and the amp stage,an easy way to test is to touch each of the volume controls contacts and listen for a hum
    warning dont try this with a mains powered radio unless your confident in what your doing