1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a pronto with a HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vila, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Ive got too many remote controls and am planning on replacing them all with a second hand pronto.

I dont really want to keep having to using my ATI remote wonder as that defeats the point of a learning remote and i dont actually rate it all that well.

What type of IR reciever can I use to allow the pronto to work with a HTPC?

How do you set it up? The pronto is a learning remote but its not an IR remote for a pc with drivers allready written. (ie how do i make the pronto output an IR signal to make theatertek play pause etc.)
    Thanks

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need an usbuirt and girder. Once you have these I can give you a pronto ccf and girder gml that will control TT, all you will have to do is import them into your files.

If you use dscaler I can give you controls for that too.

3. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Had not heard of usbuirt specifically before but found the fairly lowkey website that seems to make them for $55...

Is their any reason for buying one of these rather than simply buying an infra red keyboard or media centre remote. (they can be picked up for under £30) This would come with an IR reciever and would even allow me to learn commands from them on the pronto

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need a receiver that is girder compatible, the old favorite used to be an irman but is serial port only.

You can now order for delivery from europe so that you wont get import duty and vat on the cost.

You could just combine the pronto with something like an i-mon, but it wont be as powerful or expandable.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use an iMon-internal with a Home Theater MX-500, not perhaps the widest used remote but it suits me. :)

6. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Imon.... interesting you say that as it allows me to ask a few questions as a person new to the Living room PC environment.

I've a reasonable grasp of building my own PC's and been using my current desk top as a bit of a test bed for various hardware (I will get to the point eventually, honest:)).

For instance, I've experimented with PSU's and CPU coolers in terms of quietness and acheived a good level for a PC in the spare room (can still hear it but greatly improved) I used a Nexus cooler and a fan that came with the chieftec case I'm going to use (it might not be the prettiest but there's bags of room). I plan to use quieter components in the chieftec however but I don't want to get into that for now.

Anyway, the point is that I've read about the Imon and seen it's variants such as the display that fits in a drive aperture and admired it very much but is it a rival to Microsoft's MCE2005 (although clearly you need win XP as the OS for the former) or can they be integrated?

The thing is I like the idea of the display giving additional information but unsure how you apply this feature if just using MCE for instance. Is this feature available from another manufacturer?

And can someone answer this as well: Does MCE have it's own EPG or does it rely on the TV cards EPG? I bought a twinhan digital capture card which is great in many respects except the EPG (compared to a decent freeview set top receiver) is awful (and the channel change pitches up a twinhan screen everytime you swap channels). I don't see the twinhan PCI card referred to very much so I guess i'm also asking if it's suitable.