Question Using a portable generator to power home theater system - too "dirty"?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tvb0y, Aug 31, 2017.

1. tvb0y

tvb0y
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My power has been out for a few days and I've just been waiting it out, but now they're saying it will be up to a few weeks before it's back. So I'm thinking about using my generator to power my setup. I read one comment on another site saying it wouldn't be recommend because portable generators output dirty power that might damage the gear. I'd be powering a TV, blu ray player, receiver, and my Klipsch 5.1 system (RC-62's etc).

If there's a chance of it damaging anything I won't do it. Or I'll just hook it up to my PC instead. Unless it would damage that too. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I have done this in the past in exactly your situation. It will depend on the quality of the output from your specific generator. I used some power protection - mains smoothers and spike protectors to give the kit some protection and did not have any problems. However it is always a risk, just depends on your appetite for the risk.