Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Using a PC with the JVC LT-32DS6

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Kingston LJ, Sep 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post here :hiya:

I have decided to get rid of my JVC CRT and have my eye on the JVC LT-37DS6 or the 32inch version.

The screen has got great reviews for watching tv, dvd's etc... but I want to know how it performs with a PC?

The VGA input supports 1024x768- will this look o.k, or bad?

The screen can take DVI through a HDMI converter- will this help?

If anyone uses the screen with a pc- please let me know what it's like?

Also... any other advice appreciated!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    If the display does 1:1 mapping only, then you'll have big thick borders left and right. I suspect that it will expand the width by stretching the display as an option in the menu, and that 1:1 will be the optimum display as well as default.
    I don't believe the display can use the HDMI input as a PC signal input, just the VGA. If your card has DVI only then use a DVI-VGA adapter.

3. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ;) Thanks for the reply pjskel

The display only supports 1024x768 vga input for pc use. Now I understand that the resolution is 4:3 which means stretching on a 16:9 to get full screen.

A lot of people say the stretching will spoil the image, but I have no way of knowing because shops don't have pc's connected-up to the screens. I'm not a perfectionist, I just wanna play video's and emulated games on the screen, not HalfLife2 or other mouse games, because I have a smaller lcd for that purpose.

I am guessing 1024x768 will look quite good, though obviously not as good as pure 1368x768. I hear the scaling in the JVC is good, so things will probably be fine!

The other option I hear is to use component or HDMI outputting 720 or 1080- once again I don't know how good this will look, but it sounds like a decent option!

4. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd recomend using the full res of the screen if I were you. it does support 1366x768 via VGA doesnt it?

5. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard it only supports 1024x768 through the d-sub vga. You can't get 1:1 1366x768. The manual states 1024x768 or 640x480 through vga.

This is the reason some people have decided to give the JVC range a miss.

Maybe they are being a bit too perfectionist though. I have no idea if 1024 looks
    decent on the screen or not. I hear I can use component outputting 720P though which will make things much closer to native resolution.

If anyone has used the screen with a PC- let people know what it's like!

6. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got my 37incher on saturday - only tried a PC yesterday though - was able to run at 1280x768 on a shuttle with a Radeon 7000 card - but with an Nvidia card am able to select 1366x768. On both these higher resolutions, the screen is pink-ish and shifted left - I've found out how to fix that on the radeon (play around with the vertical sych selection on one of the tabs - click on the "+" and "-" buttons - can't remember which). But not had time to find it on the Nvidia drivers yet - will try that tonight, but the fix should be similar - the card/driver just needs to know what signal to synch on.

The only downside is that the monitor doesnt do 800x600 - which most older games choose as their default - but the answer to that is just to connect a monitor - select the right setting and then switch back to the LCD panel.

Another slight niggle was that when I pressed the AV button to get back to cable for a bit - and then came back to the PC - the display was all shimmering (wiggly lines down all the verticals - and it was off to the left again) - selecting 1024x768 and then back to 1280x768 (it was on the radeon at the time) rectified the problem and put back the correct screen.

picture quality is excellent - watched a few HD demos in media player and divx player all loooked excellent.

M.

7. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Would be interesting to know how you get on as I got my 37" yesterday. Want to set up my PC to it to play some HD stuff tonight if I can. Will try 1366x768 and see what happens. I will be using a 7800GTX with 77.77 drivers...fingers crossed.

If this doesnt support the screens native res via VGA then I will be well cheesed off and it will be going back. What about those wishing to play xbox360 via VGA...dont think many will put up with a big black border round the edge....oh well time will tell.

8. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    it supported it - just didnt have time to get the picture centred and the right colours - the picture was rock steady - just red-tinted and off to the left - as was 1280x768 on the ATI card until I tweaked it - just need to find the detonator incantations for the fx5200 I have lying around. Lack of 800x600 is a bit of a bummer though.

9. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BF2 from my Laptop to the JVC 32" SD6 looks great, windows isn't as good but certainly very useable.

10. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I managed it 1368 x 768 @ 60hz - by using the "Advanced Theater Mode" (I think it was that) dialog box and some or the settings in this page :- http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/ - I did not use powerstrip - but set the back/front porch settings mentioned on the page. Not had time to do more - will probably look into creating the .INF file over the weekend sometime.

M.

11. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MDPlatts ;) Please let me know all the info on how to get the screen displaying 1366x768. When you have worked it all out, I would really appreciate a step by step guide!

12. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    All I did was go into the advanced theater mode (and said "I agree" to the pop-up) - and selectred the following - starting from the pink 1368x768 setting screen.

switching the polarities gets the colours right and gets it almost in position - the porch and width settings get the rest right.

Horizontal Geometry
    Front porch - 38 pixels
    Sync width - 184 pixels
    Back porch - 220 pixels
    Polarity: Negative

Vertical Geometry
    Front porch - 3 lines
    Sync width - 6 lines
    Back porch - 29 lines

If you read the page its all due to JVC (and most of the other lcd manufacturers coming from a TV background) not following the VESA guidelines which nvidia/ati look for in their drivers - the EDID info. So you just have to provide it for it yourself.

Away for the next couple of days so have a play, its not difficult - took me a couple of minutes once I found the above info.

M.

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you guys using VGA or HDMI to get these resolutions ?.

14. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MD is using VGA, we all thought 1024x768 was the max resolution! :)

15. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advanced theater mode?

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Vga

17. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It was advanced timing sorry - though I believe the licence/disclaimer you have to agree to says something similar.

Select the required/nearest resolution from settings tab, apply it - screen goes left and pink

Click on advanced and then on the tab with the nvidia logo.

Goto the screen resolutions and refresh rates tab shown in the first screen and select "Advanced Timing"

Agree to the licence/"Its my fault if I damage something" screen

Then on the 2nd screen shown and put in the specifed settings from the previous post.

Horizontal Geometry
    Front porch - 38 pixels
    Sync width - 184 pixels
    Back porch - 220 pixels

Vertical Geometry
    Front porch - 3 lines
    Sync width - 6 lines
    Back porch - 29 lines

That should be it - not experimented fully with it - as to how it works over time or what gets remembered/not over reboots.

M.

Attached Files:

18. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    updated images with correct info from actual machine now I'm home.

19. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MD, are you definately getting 1366 x 768 via VGA (not HDMI)

I thought this was not possible with this model.

20. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    1366x768 & 1280x720 do not work via DVI > VGA for me. (this may be the cable that Im using as it seems to be missing some pins that are on normal PC DVI plugs. This is the DVI>HDMI that I got with My Samsung HD950)

Got 1366x768 to work via VGA Thanks to MDPlatts but it looks pants. as do the supported resolution of 1024x768. Not very clear or straight edges. :(

21. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep - 15-pin d-sub to 15-pin d-sub male-male, picture looks perfect to me - indeed I'm surfing and answering this to you on it now. The pics I attached were print-screen captures from this PC with its present GFX card - until I build a better one next year when Intel release the YONAH cpu's.

M.

22. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Correction to my earlier post it was DVI to HDMI that didnt work.

I did get 1366 & 1360x768 to work via VGA (thanks to MDPlatts' help) although it looked no different to 1024x768 and IMHO looks rubbish. My Samsung LE26R41BDX looks far superior (as good as a PC monitor).

Does it look poor on yours?

23. yorkshire rose

yorkshire rose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    hello,

was wonderng whether anybody had acheived a hdmi conection @1:1 mapping (or near). this lcd tv is currently in my shortlist. (hitachi 32ld7200 & sharp 32g7a being the others)

24. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    nope - looks perfect, but then I do have the LT-37DS6 - I'm sat on sofa with wireless keyboard/trackball a good 10ft away and its perfectly readable - at standard font size. - no flickers, no interference

whe I build a dual-core MCE box in jan/feb (or sooner if intel gets their fingers out) then it will be even better - until then I have DVD via component and XBox 360 (on order).

M

25. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have the 37 too and the text is a little blurry (even with clear type enabled - although this does improve it a little)

My point was that the Samsung gives a perfect image in every respect and the JVC seems not to have straight edges. eg: the windows task bar is a perfectly straight horizontal line on my Iiyama CRT and on the Samsung LCD but when displayed on the JVC the task bar (viewed up close) is made of what appears to be diagonal criss cross mesh /zig zag of lines. when viewed froma distance it doesnt appear too bad but it is noticeably less sharp. especially when playing back HD material.

Are you using a VGA > VGA connection? My 7800Gtx only has dual DVI outs so I have to use an adaptor. I would have thought it unlikely that this could introduce a loss in quality but you never know...?

26. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh so I need a DVI --> HDMI connection cable.

Then in the ATI Control Center I'd need to add 720p & 1080i to indicate my display supports these modes, and then force the resolution to 1366x768?

27. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the cables. Enabled HDTV in the ATI Control Centre.

When the PC boots up I get the HD picture fine and the TV reports 1080i on the screen. As soon as windows has finished loading the TV seems to loose the signal - could this be down to the fact my PC is still putting out 1024x768? :confused:

28. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone :lease:

29. jef27nld

jef27nld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How to do this on a Ati radeon 9800xt pro ?

30. lee-b

lee-b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caimbeul - Did you ever have any joy getting your 37 looking pin sharp? I have just bought the LT26DS6 model and even using MDPlatts settings (which helped greatly - thanks) the picture is still really bad quality. I would expect an LCD screen showing native resolution would be like a dedicated LCD PC screen (as MDPlatts seems to have ahcieved and yourself with te Samsung?)

It appears the JVC will always stretch the image to fill the screen - whatever resolution is sent to it - perhaps this is causing a problem with 1360... but my picture issues sound the same as yours.

Would a low quality video card cause any problems? I only ask because I have an Onboard nVidia GeForce 4 (i know i know, no use for anything ;) )

Thanks in advance.