Using a O2 SIMplicity SIM - Web & MMS Settings

Doug86

Established Member
Reaction score
Right after far too much messing around I have managed to get the settings to work!!!

This guide is based on a HTC Magic that has been unlocked and rooted and is now running a O2 SIM card.

You will need to set up 2 x APNs on the handset.

First one is for your mobile internet. Remember that if you do not have the unlimited web bolt on then this will start to get very expensive for you! You need to enter this information in. If there is nothing written for a paticular field then just leave it blank.

Mobile Web:
Name: o2
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: web
Password: web
MCC: 234
MNC: 10

MMS:
Name: MMS
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 243

Now once these two seperate APN's have been entered and you have made sure you saved them you should see a grey circle next to each one. Click on the MMS circle and it should now have a green light inside it.

Re-Boot the handset.

You should now have mobile internet and MMS capabilities :thumbsup:

Just remember that these are the settings that worked for me on my HTC Magic unlocked and used with a O2 SIMplicity card with a unlimited web bolt on. Make sure you have a data package otherwise your phone bills will be massive! If in doubt check with O2 to make sure your not being charged for the data etc. I cannot be held responsible!

Right after far too much messing around I have managed to get the settings to work!!!

This guide is based on a HTC Magic that has been unlocked and rooted and is now running a O2 SIM card.

First one is for your mobile internet. Remember that if you do not have the unlimited web bolt on then this will start to get very expensive for you! You need to enter this information in. If there is nothing written for a paticular field then just leave it blank.

Mobile Web:

MMS:

Now once these two seperate APN's have been entered and you have made sure you saved them you should see a grey circle next to each one. Click on the MMS circle and it should now have a green light inside it.

Re-Boot the handset.

Just remember that these are the settings that worked for me on my HTC Magic unlocked and used with a O2 SIMplicity card with a unlimited web bolt on. Make sure you have a data package otherwise your phone bills will be massive! If in doubt check with O2 to make sure your not being charged for the data etc. I cannot be held responsible!

I use o2 Simplicity with an unlocked Nokia N73. All I did was ring up o2 and they sent me a data file by text message. I run the file and everything worked mobile internet, mms, text messages etc...

Yes it will be because its a supported handset.

The HTC Magic is not a supported O2 handset. This thread is targeted to that specific device/OS

The HTC Magic is not a supported O2 handset. This thread is targeted to that specific device/OS

OK. Thanks for the information then. I will be purchasing a HTC phone soon so will probably have to do the same as yourself.

Do you by any chance know what the limit is for o2's "unlimited" internet bolt add on? I have never actually managed to get a figure off them.

I spoke to them and they said:

"We used to have a figure but now we dont, we will phone you if its too high"

I think its more aimed at charging people who tether their handsets :rolleyes:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to set up MMS on my unlocked Legend with SIMplicity - tried these settings but I don't get the grey circle.

Anyone know any different - O2 didnt want to tell me as they don't support the phone atm :(

They are the same settings that I use on my hero, so they should work for your legend

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to set up MMS on my unlocked Legend with SIMplicity - tried these settings but I don't get the grey circle.

Anyone know any different - O2 didnt want to tell me as they don't support the phone atm :(

Sent from my Hero using Tapatalk

how 'safe' is it doing this? i mean o2 terms state that you shouldnt use the sim outside of an iphone. will they turn the simcard off or do they not really care?

how 'safe' is it doing this? i mean o2 terms state that you shouldnt use the sim outside of an iphone. will they turn the simcard off or do they not really care?

I'm using SIMplicity for smartphone not iphone.

Mobile Web:

MMS:

Re-Boot the handset.

Spot on mate, just set up my new HTC Desire and worked first time. Thanks for your effort in putting this together

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Guys,

I have recently bought a HTC Desire which is locked to the Orange network and would like to use it with my O2 Simcard. By using a Turbo sim I have been able to make and receive calls and text messages but can't use any data. I have followed the instruction on how to enter the O2 data settings manually but after selecting Menu - Save but the new APN does not appear.

What am I doing wrong here

Please help guys.

Got a question about my Simplicity for iPhone SIM that i've put in my Desire.

I've got no calls or data problems, but i was hoping to be able to carry on using my wi-fi free allowance.

I was in a BT Openzone area today and on the iPhone it would normally auto connect as i'd already put my telephone number in way back when.

But today i was connected to the Openzone splash screen wanting a username/password.

I can only assume that Ppenzone realises you aren't on an iPhone and so doesn't link your mobile number.

Has anyone got a workaround for this? Be nice to carry on using the freebie wi-fi i'm paying, even though i'm not using the SIM in an iPhone anymore.

It will know from the MAC address that it's not an iPhone. Also, you can only have one MAC address registered against your account, so if your iPhone is currently registered you wont be able to have another device, even if it's another iPhone.

You can have the device removed from your account by sending a text message with the word 'WiFi' only to 2121

Then try again, but I'd be surprised if it worked as it will know it's not an iPhone.

Got a question about my Simplicity for iPhone SIM that i've put in my Desire.

I've got no calls or data problems, but i was hoping to be able to carry on using my wi-fi free allowance.

I was in a BT Openzone area today and on the iPhone it would normally auto connect as i'd already put my telephone number in way back when.

But today i was connected to the Openzone splash screen wanting a username/password.

I can only assume that Ppenzone realises you aren't on an iPhone and so doesn't link your mobile number.

Has anyone got a workaround for this? Be nice to carry on using the freebie wi-fi i'm paying, even though i'm not using the SIM in an iPhone anymore.

When I took out my O2 Simplicity Smartphone taffif, I was told I could use the free Wi Fi hot spots, so it may be worth ringing O2 and changing over.
I haven't got it to work on my Hero yet, as I'm never in a position to phone O2 when I eventually find a hotspot.

It will know from the MAC address that it's not an iPhone. Also, you can only have one MAC address registered against your account, so if your iPhone is currently registered you wont be able to have another device, even if it's another iPhone.

You can have the device removed from your account by sending a text message with the word 'WiFi' only to 2121

Then try again, but I'd be surprised if it worked as it will know it's not an iPhone.

Might give that a try, but like you said, it could be in vain.

When I took out my O2 Simplicity Smartphone taffif, I was told I could use the free Wi Fi hot spots, so it may be worth ringing O2 and changing over.
I haven't got it to work on my Hero yet, as I'm never in a position to phone O2 when I eventually find a hotspot.

I can't see on their simplicity page where you get wi-fi with the smartphone tariff. How much do you pay and what do you get? I'm on the ÂŁ20 iPhone one and that is fine for me.

I rarely use openzone, but its nice to have the ability to due so seeing as i'm paying for it.

Might give that a try, but like you said, it could be in vain.

I can't see on their simplicity page where you get wi-fi with the smartphone tariff. How much do you pay and what do you get? I'm on the ÂŁ20 iPhone one and that is fine for me.

I rarely use openzone, but its nice to have the ability to due so seeing as i'm paying for it.

I'm on the ÂŁ20pm one also, with 300 mins and Unlimited texts and Data. It doesn't say about the Wifi, but was definitely told it when I phoned up to enquire about my contract (maybe thats why it hasn't worked)

Apologies for dragging this topic up again, but I'm having difficulties and would appreciate some help... :)

I have the HTC Desire and the O2 simplicity pay as you go SIM. I've entered the details above from Doug's post exactly, but I encounter a problem- the mobile web settings save fine but when I press save for the MMS settings and the list of connections shows up afterwards the MMS connection does not appear in the list of connections (no error messages or anything, just doesn't show up). I thought this might be because of a typo with regards to the MCC as when I save this as 234 (as for the mobile web settings), it then appears with a grey dot which I can select.

I've restarted the phone at this point as instructed but when it starts back up I still have no data connectivity. Anybody able to shed any light on the situation for me???

And another issue mentioned earlier. Has anyone got cloud/openzone wi-fi working from their Simplicity Sim working on their Desire yet?

If so please reveal all! :smashin:

Apologies for dragging this topic up again, but I'm having difficulties and would appreciate some help... :)

I have the HTC Desire and the O2 simplicity pay as you go SIM. I've entered the details above from Doug's post exactly, but I encounter a problem- the mobile web settings save fine but when I press save for the MMS settings and the list of connections shows up afterwards the MMS connection does not appear in the list of connections (no error messages or anything, just doesn't show up). I thought this might be because of a typo with regards to the MCC as when I save this as 234 (as for the mobile web settings), it then appears with a grey dot which I can select.

I've restarted the phone at this point as instructed but when it starts back up I still have no data connectivity. Anybody able to shed any light on the situation for me???

I have a similar issue.. my data is working, but MMS isnt. i have two default APNS, O2 mobile web which is the one with the green dot, and O2 PostPay MMS which does not have a dot next to it.

If i try to change the MCC on it, the profile dissapears.

*Update*

After messing around ive found the default settings *DO* work for sending MMS..

However!.. as reading in other places it seems o2 do not have a profile server-side for the desire yet... in order to get picture messages to actually send, i had to use Handcent to "spoof" a iphone for sending.. the option is under custom user agent.

Entered the settings previously found on the 02 forums (which have mysteriously stopped working as of this evening) and have been using the Desire on ÂŁ15 pm pay&go sim with unlimited internet and texts. Yesterday, my phone has suddenly stopped connecting to the web. I'm wondering if 02 have cottoned on to sim-free Desire buyers using unsupported pay&go sims in the handsets and have changed the settings, or worse still, blocked them all together?

I tried using the more recent settings shown on this forum on my handset, but it still won't connect!

Has anyone else had this problem, or found a way to get their internet connection working again?

I raised the issue of not being able to connect the The Cloud & BTOpenzone with O2, as their welcome email confirmed I would be able to use it.
Initially their supoprt team said only I-phones could connect; when I made a formal email complaint about this, I was advised to contact their SmartPhone support (which is their I-phone and Pre support line).

There the guy said I absolutly should be able to connect on my plan (SIM-only SIMplicity for Smartphone tarrif; ÂŁ20 + ÂŁ5 web), and went through a load of steps.
Unfortunately we still couldn't get past the 'unable to register your number' stage on either network, and he took my IP address and said he'd raise a support issue... Nothing back a week later...

The Cloud and BT Openzone is not just for I-phones; the new Nexus tarrif on Vodafone includes this too, so it's an O2 registering problem, not a technical problem...
Mind you, O2 has just started selling the Desire (which admittedly makes no mention of being able to use the public wifi); but at least they'll know more about the handset... "A google what handset?" was the usual comment when I told them what I was using... :)

Has ANYONE got the BTopenzone etc working yet?

I have same problem but on HD2 seems its not just the Desire ... and I swapped to sim only ÂŁ15 deal with web n wifi thrown in ...couldnt connect to the cloud saturday night in my local wetherspoons :confused:

I registered with The cloud and download there Winmo app off site going to try it out tomorrow

It just allows you to 1 press and connect... just email name etc needed no monies

Last edited:
I found mobile web very patchy on my Desire (O2 iphone simplicity sim tariff) and after failing recently to connect to a BT wifi hotspot (the error message suggested the system had spotted my non-iphone handset), I lost my 3g and H connections altogether - no mobile email at all.

So I rang up O2 and came out as an iPhone renegade and they switched me to a slightly chaper tariff with 300 mins of calls (I don't call much) which SHOULD, they said, work fine with the Desire. It is supposed to kick in at midnight tonight so I shall wait and see what happens... and report back here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom