1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Netgear WAP as a repeater???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Does anyone know if you can use a standard Netgear WAP as a repeater? I use the Netgear DG834G WAP and have some poor coverage areas in the house so wish to place a repeater either upstairs or in the loft space.

Anyone have any recommendations on which I should get? Thanks.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    If signal strength is your only problem the best solution is to add a better antenna to your 834..

You can get a massively powerful antenna for half the price of a new WAP, and no complicated installation to worry about..

have a look here

the NET-WL-ANT008OSC @ £18.80 should more than do the job ( assuming you don't live in a castle ) ;)

It attaches straight to the back of your 834G, no pigtails etc required..

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Normally APs that will work as repeaters will say so in their sales blurb ; those that do have a repeater mode are usually only reliably able to repeat from other equipment from the same manufacturer. Such APs usually have 5 modes of operation (1 being their repeater mode).
    A forthcoming standard called WDS (Wireless Distribution System) may in future make this somewhat easier.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks guys. Not sure I want a stand alone aerial in my office though like the one linked above. Reminds me of the old magnetic mount taxi aerials :D

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Neil,

I'm doing exactly what you describe with the same equipment, a dg834g in my office and a WG602 in my downstairs wc, both are set to the same ssid and the same channel, it works fine.

Dont be tempted to buy the cheaper belkin ap as that definitly doesn't work with the dg834g. for this purpose.

The combination has solved all my deaspot problems and in fact the signal strength from the ap is better than that of the router.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Brilliant. Thanks john. I placed an order earlier on broadbandbuyer then cancelled it when i got the response re the aerial. Think i'll reinstate it now :D

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I am having a similar problem with my linksys BEFW11S4 this has 2 antennas and not sure why but range is just too short for reliable connection in front bedroom any ideas guys?

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The reason mine is so poor upstairs is because I have the 834 attached to the side of my desk down in the study for neatness. I noticed the web pad really struggled to get a decent signal yet downstairs it was perfect. An additional WAP placed in the loft space should sort it nicely :D