Question Using a Marantz NR1504 with 4K and HDR

AlanX

Established Member
Reaction score
Have to admit to being very confused over what an AV Receiver CAN do and what it NEEDS to do when faced with a 4K input, with one flavour or another of HDR.
When I get my UHD Blu-Ray player, and a 4K HDR movie, what am I likely to see at the other end of my Marantz NR1504 (assuming the TV is 4K+HDR capable)? Will I get the full Monty, a pared down version of the original, or nothing at all? Is it an inevitable AVR upgrade?
I really don't want to run the player straight into the TV, and ARC the audio back to the AVR, but perhaps that's the only way with my current AVR. Anyone know?

Buy a UHD player with dual HDMI outputs. One HDMI can deliver 4K / HDR / DV / DLG (or whatever) video to your TV, and the other HDMI can deliver HD audio direct to your AVR. There are plenty of UHD players available, with these dual outputs, for this very reason!

Thanks. I was wondering if I would need to use more than one HDMI input on the TV when using an AVR. Looks like that time has nearly arrived!

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a Samsung UE55MU7000 television.

How would I go about using the Marantz NR1504 for audio output? Is that possible? Obviously i'd like to keep the 4K/HDR functionality. 90% of content will be played from 4K Amazon Fire TV box.

Thank you.

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a Samsung UE55MU7000 television.

How would I go about using the Marantz NR1504 for audio output? Is that possible? Obviously i'd like to keep the 4K/HDR functionality. 90% of content will be played from 4K Amazon Fire TV box.

Thank you.
The Amazon Fire TV box, only has one HDMI output. As your AVR does not support 4K video passthrough, you would need to connect the Fire TV directly to your 4K television. You could then pass the audio from the TV to your Marantz NR1504 via HDMI ARC, or use the optical digital audio out on the TV, to an optical digital audio in on the AVR.

The Amazon Fire TV box, only has one HDMI output. As your AVR does not support 4K video passthrough, you would need to connect the Fire TV directly to your 4K television. You could then pass the audio from the TV to your Marantz NR1504 via HDMI ARC, or use the optical digital audio out on the TV, to an optical digital audio in on the AVR.

Perfect - just what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom