Using a Lyngdorf 1120 with an Apple TV

Silver Arrow

Hi All.
I am considering trying to convince my finance controller to let me buy a Lyngdorf 1120. Will primarily be for music playback, but a deal breaker could be getting TV sound through.
The Apple TV has HDMI out to the TV, cables already buried within the wall, no options for getting any other cabling in.
The ATV also has a micro USB, but no other means of connection. I also note the 1120 has a USB connector at the rear.
Does anyone know if I can play video out via HDMI whilst playing audio out to USB? Would there be any lip-sync issues?
Help, as ever will be appreciated.
Andy

larkone

The USB port on an ATV is for diagnostics only, no audio output so the answer is no. However you could use the arc channel on HDMI from your TV or the optical out from the TV if it has one. Can't answer the lip sync issue as haven't tested that. If you are UK based there are a couple of dealers on here offering home trials - find them in the lyngdorf 1120 thread on Music streamers

Upvote 0

Silver Arrow

Thanks Larkone, yes UK based, and have read the previous threads re the 1120 and dealer trials, no doubt if I get the go ahead, we will take someone up on a trial.
As I said earlier though, the cables are already deep in the wall cavity, so no wiring showing on the way from Hi Fi to TV, the optical out may have been useful otherwise.
I may have to look at what other TV streamers are available, only really use BBC, ITV, Amazon Prime and Netflix.
Andy

Upvote 0

larkone

You could use a Chromecast video plugged into the TV HDMI ports for the streaming and the HDMI cable to the Lyngdorf using ARC

Upvote 0

Silver Arrow

I could also find a way of mounting the ATV behind the TV, there is already ethernet there, then use the HDMI to return to the 1120!
Hmmm, now comes the big sell...
Will be needing speakers too...

Upvote 0

larkone

The 1120 has a high WAF factor because it is small, easy to use and does make everything sound so much clearer, especially with badly mixed audio on TV

Upvote 0

Silver Arrow

A further question if I may.
As I have never done this sort of of thing, I don't know if I am on the right track.

I currently run a 5:1 system through an Onkyo receiver and an old Bose lifestyle set of speakers.
The Onkyo has died.
My preference is to get rid of the lot, buy a Lyngdorf stereo amp and good hi fi speakers, probably B&W (just my pref).
My wife likes the surround effect even though we don't watch films much these days, just TV through an Apple TV, Amazon Prime and Netflix. She also likes the look of the small Bose speakers with the subwoofer hidden away.
We need to do something and a compromise is needed.
I would say listening to quality music is very much higher on my preference scale so wondered...
If we got the Lyngdorf 1120 with decent speakers for stereo Hi Fi use, then a reasonably priced AV receiver @ £500 - £600, wiring the Bose system up to the AV receiver won't be an issue, but can I leave the two front Bose speakers off the scheme, wiring the far better quality Hi Fi speakers to both the AV receiver and the Lyngdorf without issue? Is this how Bi amping works?
Using the AV receiver just for TV etc and the Lyngdorf for music playback.
Alternatively is there such a thing as a digital out for just the front speakers on an AV receiver that can be used as an input to the Lyngdorf?
Sorry if this is ramblings at the moment.
Andy

Upvote 0

gibbsy

If music is a priority then go for the Lyngdorf, but please to not mate to Bose speakers, that would be a total waste of money. You will not get the same kind of stereo music performance with an AV amp so would need to keep the two systems basically separate.

You have the right idea about using both an AV amp and the Lyngdorf. You will have to get an AV amp with at least the two front left and right pre-outs. The pre-outs then get connected to the correct line-in on the Lyngdorf. That's not bi-amping as with film and TV the Lyngdorf would be acting as a power amp for the AV amp. It's works simply and effectively and is how I have my system set up but with a Rega stereo amp.

It's not a digital input from AV amp to Lyngdorf but an analogue one via RCA. But please, dump those Bose speakers certainly for the fronts. Speakers are probably the most important pieces of equipment and you have to get it right. The Lyngdorf with Room Perfect will complement those speakers for music.

What you really need is......
AV amp with pre-outs.
Lyngdorf 1120
Five new speakers
Subwoofer

Upvote 0

EightSixEight

Standard Member
I could also find a way of mounting the ATV behind the TV, there is already ethernet there, then use the HDMI to return to the 1120!
Hmmm, now comes the big sell...
Will be needing speakers too...
You can also play the audio from the AppleTV to your 1170 via Airplay2. However the best option is AppleTV -> HDMI -> TV -> HDMI ARC -> TDAI

Upvote 0

Silver Arrow

Thanks for the replies, am having discussions regarding speakers and aesthetics...
Maybe slowly trying to convince!
Am now looking at the NAD 778 av receiver as a first change.
Other changes may follow.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom