using a lcd display as tv ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by fifa, Feb 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fifa

fifa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi guys does using an lcd display as a tv work as insight.com have a Acer AL1703sm 17inch multimedia screen for just @129.99 plus vat and also sell an acer tuner for around the £50 only I need one for my bedroom, thoughts please oh would I also be able to connect the dvd player ?
    Thanks guys : :smashin:

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My brother has been using an LCD monitor with built in tuner for a while so the idea is sound. Though I'd look for a screen with a faster response time like 16ms or lower otherwise you'll get smearing of the picture with fast movement. Looking at the specs the Acer tuner can accept S-video and audio inputs so you could plug in the DVD player through the tuner, that's if the DVD has a S-video socket as not all do. I've never seen the Acer tuner in action so have no idea what quality of picture you will get from it.

3. fifa

fifa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks Mat it just seems a cheaper way of getting a lcd for the bedroom I just wish the tvs would plumit in price but I cant wait for ever as my tv is on the blink :thumbsup:

4. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have 19" & 17" LCD monitor, which both have an innovision Digi external TV box attached, Dabs sell them under the Dabsvalue brand for about £53, here's the link
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=3HT0&searchphrase=TV tuner

Been using one of these for the past 2 years on my 19" CTX (£600 back then) gives very acceptable results, the model has been updated since then and I have the new one on my 17" which gives a far better PQ, comes complete with remote and has Svideo, Audio In, Component etc. on the back, but now of course you can buy a 17" LCD TV for £260 inc.

5. fifa

fifa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks for that Xelon thats helpfull and its looking promissing the cheap lcd tvs seem to have large cabinets so the displat looks neater in a small room :smashin: