• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using a HDMI Laptop with Cinema System

dolan46

Novice Member
In our village hall we have a cinema system using a Kenwood KRF-V5300D AV Control Centre, a Alesis RA150 amplifier and a Blu-ray player. The HDMI cable for the projector, which is fixed to the ceiling, connects from the Blu-ray player. The Kenwood AV Centre is connected to the Blu-ray player with an optical cable.

We have been asked to provide an HDMI connection so that a laptop can be used with the system and include sound.

Is anyone able to tell me if that is possible with the equipment we have and if so, suggest the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Graham

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I can't think of a simple way to do this, and any method will involve buying a few bits of kit.

Could you list the make and model of the laptop and projector?

You might be able to use an HDMI switcher but you'd still need to find a way to get audio from the laptop.

A much simpler solution would be to try and find a used (or cheap new) AV receiver with HDMI inputs to replace both the Kenwood and the Alesis.

citywalker

Established Member
New receiver is the best and cheapest way in the end.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Should be simple enough to swap the BD Player for the Laptop - I'm assuming this is a 'one off' or are you looking to install a Wall/Floor plate?

Unless the Projector is a 1920x1080 pixel model it is often better to not run the Laptop via the AVR HDMI and instead run the Laptop video via HDMI direct to the Projector and a separate connection for audio into the sound system.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom