1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a floorbox to hide cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pyroxene, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pyroxene

pyroxene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I have been putting together a 'home theatre' room during a house renovation project. This room is only sometimes going to be used for this purpose and will be used as a sitting room also. Basically, this is the setup:

Room Size: 12ft x 26ft
    6ft Electric projector screen at one end of the room

Denon AV3803 reciever, Denon 2909 DVD, PS2, SKY+ - all situated in corner of room, projector screen end

5 Omnisat micro's all ceiling mounted (3 at front near screen, 2 at rear of room)

Now, here is my quandry. There are various cables that need to available to use by the seating area at the rear of the room. I have decided not to ceiling mount the projector, as my wife did not want a permamnent fixture on the ceiling :-(. Cables that i will need to use are:

1. Double power socket
    2. SVideo & Component Video cables for projector
    3. SVideo cable from PS2 by seating area to Denon AV3803 reciever
    4. Optical cable from PS2 by seating area to Denon AV3803 reciever

My idea is to use a floor box (like they have in offices) and feed the cables under ground from the reciever into and through the floor box. When i need to use them i'll pull the cables to the projector etc and thereafter push them back into the box when not in use. However, my concern is that the cable slack i leave under ground will get snagged or stuck with the continual 'pulling and pushing'. So...i then thought under the same line of thinking, i would create sockets in the floor box for each of the cables, i.e. a Svideo socket to which i would plug into a svideo cable to the projector or PS2. Get the idea?

I hope all of this kind of makes sense. Probably not - haha...What i want to know is has anyone done this kind of thing before and whether there is a better suggestion? Also, where would i get the 'custom' floor sockets for the AV inputs/outputs...?

I really apreciate anyone who takes the time to pass me some feedback - thanks!

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi - yes, floorboxes - I use several in the cinema.

Screwfix direct are a cheap source, and thier box comes complete with one double mains socket.

They also sell inserts to blank out and also support rj45 inserts. I use blank ones and buy sockets etc from Maplin/CPC/where ever to make the conenctors tidy....

The only downside is that they are a bit too office like rather than home... but at least no training wires....

They are easy to fit with no worries. The bit of carpet you cut out is reused for the box lid...

DJ

3. pyroxene

pyroxene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. How did you manage to create the 'socket connectors' in the pannels in the floor box. Did you drill holes in them?

4. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in but I may need to do something similar. Exactly which fittings from Screwfix did you use? I've just been looking through the latest catalogue and couldn't find a floor box. I'm also trying to find a way to make my wall wiring for speakers terminate in plugs so that it looks neater.

5. tvhustla

tvhustla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive searched for it on the website but cant find them, do they have a dif techincal name?

6. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  7. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replies...

Yes, screwfix - I guess you have found them. Thier price is very good and I doubt if you will find cheaper.

I just bought blank panels and drille dholes for the connectors. Go check Maplin for sockets etc. Some boxes I used I did not use sockets, only mains.... for my front active speakers. I just brought the phono cables up through a grommet ... saves yet another join between source and speaker.

I guess its just what you want to put into it. Either way, it will be so much tider for you.

One think to note however, if you do bring cables into it, please use grommets wher ethe cable passes through thre metal box. This is required for saftey - mains or low voltage....

David

8. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Again...

Meant to add - the only connectors I could not find where for the xbox.

I have a floorbox near the couch so I dont have trailing xbox controller cables everywhere... and I dont like wireless controllers!

DJ