Using a DVD recorder instead of Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RebeccaG, May 6, 2007.

1. RebeccaG

RebeccaG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum as I'm confused if I should post here or on the Sky pages, please move if this is in the wrong place.

We only access our TV signal through our sky dish, not an aerial and at the moment can't get freeview in our village. I'm fed up with paying the £10 for Sky+ and don't find it has enough capacity for us too, combine that with our desire for a DVD recorder and I'm wondering if there is a better solution. Can DVD recorders work with using the Sky signal? We'd like to keep our Sky sub but downgrade the package and drop the Sky+ element - however if we do this can we use a DVD recorded to record programs?

I've been searching around on the web and these forums and I'm a little lost, so some help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rebecca

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi & Welcome

Yes you can use a DVD recorder to record Sky. You will of course not be able to watch a different Sky channel from the Sky Channel you are recording.

Edit and you will only be able to record one thing at a time.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    No DVDR can do what Sky+ can do or is as easy to operate.
    The best solution is to fit a bigger hard drive which is very easy to do...head over to the Sky/Sky+ forum if you want advice on how to do this.

4. RebeccaG

RebeccaG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies. So it is possible, great.

I know about upgrading the hard drive but with a new baby in the house I need to both save money, and reducing the subscription would really help here, and I'd like the facility to record onto DVD which I don't have now. I'm finding we're getting a big backlog of programmes as baby is taking up so much time and even the biggest hard drive isn't going to be enough.

Any particular recommendations on the DVD recorder front?

Rebecca

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    Stick to the bigger/better-known brands such as JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony etc and you won't go far wrong...connecting by scart lead for best picture quality.
    Just bear in mind when you are backing up from the Sky+ to a DVDR using the "Copy" function it's done in real time...so if you have 6 hours of progs to copy it will take 6 hours to do it and you cannot view anything else on the Sky+ box while it's taking place...for that reason most people set up the copying to do overnight.

6. RebeccaG

RebeccaG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a helpful tip JayCee, I wouldnt have realised that.

Is there an easy guide somewhere on this site to how I should connect my scart leads etc up?

Thanks again

Rebecca

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Rebecca.

Firstly Id like to second Jaycees comments about sticking to the major brands.... the latter 3 of the 4 he mentions. [ JVC have suffered some major reliability problems... so I remain uncertain about recommending them... albeit they may have addressed that issue by now. ]

The capital outlay is greater of course for these quality machines but it is worth it in the long run.

For connection matters, have a look at posts 2 and 3 on this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418727

Although that is addressing the use of a particular DVDR and a skybox, the principles are broadly the same in most circumstances and it should give you a good idea of what is involved.

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Additional note... If you 'reduced' to a sky freesat box... then you would not be in the position to 'copy' material at all, as there is no hard drive in skyboxes.

You would be limited to direct recording only ... at the time of transmission.

9. RebeccaG

RebeccaG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks yes I do realise that but at least for the short term its a price I'm willing to live with.

Just need to get Sky sort out the sound skipping issues on my box before I down-grade my subscription :devil:

Thanks to you all for such a nice welcome to the forums and the helpful advice.

Rebecca