Using a dvd recorder as a RGB to componet converter

Alexg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My DVD recorder has a component output on the back, its labeled "P-scan out" although I can't find any mention in the book about it being a progressive scan player, If I connect my digibox to the recorder by scart, and then the dvd recorder to my plasma/projector by a component cable, will the dvd recorder convert it the RGB from the digibox through the scart cable to component properly? Also I want to hook the component output up to my PJ and my plasma (when I get it) can I use RCA 'Y' splitters? both display devices won't be on at the same time.

Cheers, Alex.

Yes to the first bit assuming the machine takes RGB in via scart - well my Panasonic does and I assume others would too.

Can't answer the second bit.

I also sometimes watch Sky through my Panny DVDR, although I cant see any difference between the RBG>YUV signal (when viewing through DVDR) or the S-Video>YUV signal (when viewing directly through receiver)...

AS for splitting the signal......I can't see why not, although I would buy some very high quality splitters to make sure any signal degradation was kept to a minimum.

Alexg

A fair number of DVD Recorders will Input Composite, S-Video and RGB and Output in YUV Component!

Is it the best way to get a decent quality YUV signal from an RGB source? Often the answer is no - especially so if you intend to Output to a projector.

Sticking Y splitters on your YUY cables is not ideal - you'll get artefacts due to the odd termination you've introduced; better to employ a decent YUV signal Distribution Amp or Signal Switcher!

More cost I'm afraid but that's the nature of this beast!

Best regards

Joe

PS What lengths are the cable runs in your proposed install?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom