Using a DVD Player/Recorders de-interlacing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GadgetObsessed, Oct 24, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    I have a Panny PD30 TV that can take a pal PS input.

I believe that I can pass my Sky+ output through a pal p.s. DVD recorder (e.g. JVC DRM1) to use the recorders de-interlacing.

My question is whether this is also possible with a PAL p.s. DVD player? (i.e. non-recorder)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    I'm afraid not.

3. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that improve the quality of the picture?

4. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    For DVD players, having a pro-scan output is definitely better than outputting an interlaced picture and then having the TV de-interlace it.

Passing an interalced source such as Sky through an external deinterlacer (such as the JVC DRM1) will only improve the picture quality if the external de-interlacer is better than the one in the TV. (Also the Panny PD30 appears to have some problems with interlaced RGB/component sources that do not crop up with pro scan component sources.)

I have considered something like the iScan Ultra to do this - many plasma users report that its de-interlacing is better than that built into their plasma display. However, the IScan is a very expensive option.

Ideally I'd like to find out how to mod the Panny PD30 to accept a 1080i HD signal (review in What Video mentions that such a mod exists - but I can find no details) and then find an external de-interlacer/scaler that can output 720p/1080i.

5. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what progreesive scan is! :)
    I'm just asking, wether the de-interlacing of a recorder is better than pannys own internal de-interlacer?

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +911
    Sorry jdg didn't mean to teach you how to suck eggs. :)

I don't know if an external de-interlacer is any better than the sets internal one. However, given the problems that I have seen with the sets RGB/component inputs and other users reporting no such problems with PS DVD players I was keen to try a PS input device. I'm wondering if a PS input bypasses some internal Panasonic processing and this is why there are less problems with PS than interlaced inputs.

90% of my viewing is Sky rather than DVD so I was looking at ways of deinterlacing the Sky outut. As I also want a PS DVD player anyway getting a JVC DRM1 seemed like a possible cheap combined deinterlacing option. I was just wondering if I could use a standard player with an RGB input such as a Sony 730/930 instead.

One day I'd like to get a 1080i scaler or a DVD player recorder that outputs 1080i like the new Samsung.

I'm guessing that you are a PD30 owner....