Answered Using a Dune to play vids stored on desktop PC

pooksahib

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some bespoke help as I've been reading all I can find but still can't make any headway with my problem.

I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 and, from it, I can 'see' the HDD attached to my Dune. I can rename, delete and even copy across new files to the Dune's HDD. However, I cannot use the Dune to play the videos which are stored on my PC.

Network Browser/Network Places brings me to CA and WORKGROUP. CA is my music player and the Dune happily drills through all the files on it. Pressing WORKGROUP brings up DUNE and MYPC but pressing MYPC gives 'network resource is not accessible – you might not have access permission'.

I know you can set up a new network share but I've tried and failed with that, too. For the moment, I'd like to concentrate on the Dune's 'Network Browser' – if any Win10 users are using it to play files stored on their PC, I'd love to know how you managed it. Thanks in advance.

Unless you create a share with appropriate permissions on the PC the Dune won't be able to see files on your PC. You at least got a step further that I did with a recent Dune - because my PC isn't in the default WORKGROUP the Dune wouldn't even see it.

Thanks, cjed. I've since read another webpage that suggests Network Browser is a waste of time so I'll concentrate on setting up a share.

My desktop runs Windows 10 and the OS is on Drive C. My videos are on Drive E in a folder called VIDS. My PC has the name MYPC and the IP address is the standard 192.168.1.1.

The VIDS folder is shared with Everyone. According to the folder's 'Properties' its Network Path is \\MYPC\VIDS

My DNS numbers are as supplied by my ISP i.e. there's no 3rd party DNS in use.

I've created a new Network Folder on the Dune, given it a name and selected SMB. What should I input for 'Server', 'Folder', 'User' and 'Password'? (Hopefully, those last two can be left blank.)

I've tried lots of variations but always end up with Cannot Access Network Folder. My grateful thanks for any help offered.

My PC has the name MYPC and the IP address is the standard 192.168.1.1.
Are you sure about that? That IP address is usually assigned to your router.

You can check in: Settings>Network & Internet>View Your Network Properties

Thanks, Ensor, I've learned something new there. I've edited the Network Folder to read:

SMB
e\vids (also tried mypc\e\vids)

but with no luck. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Be aware your IP is not static unless you either manually assign one or some routers now feature an IP tag function were it associates a dynamic IP with a certain device. So that IP path even if it works wont once the router changes the DHCP IP addresses.

SMB Windows shares don't quite need an IP path but the open source version of SMB (samba) used by Dune and other players has a lot of compatibility issues and doesn't always work so well with Windows itself.

What I would try is
1) create new a local user account on the PC not an MS account.
2) share out that folder with only that new user account and your account.
3) now try to login via the Dune with that new user account.

Is the firmware of the Dune up to date, I'm not familiar with Dune's but a while back due to critical security reasons MS removed the very old v1 SMB protocol, a lot of media players samba installs were only configured to use this and not the newer v2 or v3 SMB found on Win 10 (it's not a good idea to reinstall v1).

If you only care out accessing files/folders to play, not part of a jukebox stlye UI or library, the media server Serviio can do this.
In Serviio control panel after adding a media folder/source go to presentation tab
* set audio top level to disable (that auto disables all sub entries)
* set image top level to disable
* set video top level to display content only, set folders to display content only and all sub entries to disable
* untick the box for "include parents title..." at the end

Now when you browse DLNA/UPnP on the Dune you should see the same folder structure on your PC like a network share.

I'm in! I created a new PC user (called Stan) and then shared the VIDS folder with Stan. On the Dune, I edited the Network Folder to read:

SMB
vids
Stan
Stans password

and access was granted. It's interesting that all I needed was 'vids' and not the full path which would have been MYPC\E\vids.

This step is also necessary: Control Panel/Network & Sharing Centre/Change Advanced Sharing Settings/All Networks/enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption.

Next010, I owe you one, thank you so very much.

Last edited:
...the open source version of SMB (samba) used by Dune and other players has a lot of compatibility issues and doesn't always work so well with Windows itself.
I've had my BD Prime 3.0 for about 7 years(?) now. I don't think I've bothered trying to get SMB to work with Win10, but I had no luck whatsoever with either WinXP or Win7 (both x64 editions). Works fine with both of my NAS servers however. :rolleyes:

If you only care out accessing files/folders to play, not part of a jukebox stlye UI or library, the media server Serviio can do this...
UPnP/DLNA has been my preferred method of serving media for well over a decade now.

You don't even need to install a separate server if you already have Windows Media Server on the machine already. Just enable media sharing.

Ensor, are you using UPnP on a Win10/Dune combination? I have Network Discovery/sharing/media streaming all 'On' but pressing UPnP on the Dune only takes me to my User Account on the PC's C drive. But I keep nothing there, it's all on the E & F drives. Is there a way of accessing these drives via UPnP without installing something like serviio (mentioned above)?

IGNORE! I've discovered how to 'Add Libraries'. (I've discovered a lot this week...)

Last edited:
Guys help. i followed the instructions above but still failing. could you check the photos and settings. Also conflicting infor regarding which IP address to use the device starting with 10. or router 192.. And the folder path? should it be full or just the folder name.

so

Attachments

• 20230909_114127.jpg
    20230909_114127.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230909_114138.jpg
    20230909_114138.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230909_114205.jpg
    20230909_114205.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230909_114340.jpg
    20230909_114340.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
Guys help. i followed the instructions above but still failing. could you check the photos and settings. Also conflicting infor regarding which IP address to use the device starting with 10. or router 192.. And the folder path? should it be full or just the folder name.

so

Your path is probably wrong, also don't use folders with spaces in them. Remove your network share, rename the folder to mtv-neo then share it out again.

Name = mtv
Type = SMB
Server = IP address of your windows PC, not your router.
Folder = mtv-neo
User = you windows account user name.
pass = your windows account password.

If if still wont work follow the directions I posted for Serviio above in the thread which doesn't need a fixed IP address either. When your PC changes IP from reboot or router the connection will break.

Your path is probably wrong, also don't use folders with spaces in them. Remove your network share, rename the folder to mtv-neo then share it out again.

Name = mtv
Type = SMB
Server = IP address of your windows PC, not your router.
Folder = mtv-neo
User = you windows account user name.
pass = your windows account password.

If if still wont work follow the directions I posted for Serviio above in the thread which doesn't need a fixed IP address either. When your PC changes IP from reboot or router the connection will break.
Thank you so much for such a swift answer. I will try. i will add my experience after. it is weird that in the WORKGROUP i see my desktop but when i use Connect as user i am getting You do not have pernission to access error. ughhh so complicated

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom