Question Using a dual sim phone?

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
My partner has a p20 pro which is dual sim, she is asking about using it with two sims, one personal and one work.

Couple of questions
Do all contacts appear in one list?

When calling or texting how do you choose which phone line to use? Does it prompt you to choose every time?

I take it messages merge in to one list rather than having separate inboxes?

gcn504

Established Member
On mine:

1) You set up a default calling sim, say Sim 1. So you don't need to choose each time as Sim 1 will be defaulted to. However, in the actual phone dialler I can swipe the 'dialler icon' across to choose sim 2. You can set different dial-tones for incoming calls to differentiate.

2) With sms it's just a drop down from which sim to send from. Yes all messages appear as one inbox but again Sim 1 will be default (if you've set it that way).

3) You can again choose a default sim for data or use both.

drinkturps

Prominent Member
My partner has a p20 pro which is dual sim, she is asking about using it with two sims, one personal and one work.

Couple of questions
Do all contacts appear in one list?

When calling or texting how do you choose which phone line to use? Does it prompt you to choose every time?

I take it messages merge in to one list rather than having separate inboxes?
I've got a dual sim phone and I've been struggling to work it out (without actually sticking my work sim into my personal phone). So I'm glad you've asked the question!
On mine:

1) You set up a default calling sim, say Sim 1. So you don't need to choose each time as Sim 1 will be defaulted to. However, in the actual phone dialler I can swipe the 'dialler icon' across to choose sim 2. You can set different dial-tones for incoming calls to differentiate.

2) With sms it's just a drop down from which sim to send from. Yes all messages appear as one inbox but again Sim 1 will be default (if you've set it that way).

3) You can again choose a default sim for data or use both.
Thanks for this. Only issue I've got is that my work contacts and personal contacts are all bound to the same email account. I currently have 2 phones but now I've got a dual sim I've been thinking about sticking the work sim into it.

With all contacts on the same google account will it confuse the phone which SIM to use when making a call or can I specify which sim to use based on the phone number?

Is the best thing for me to do is just stick the sim in and have a play? I've struggled to find any decent guides.

D

Deleted member 45086

I don't really think dual sim phones have got it all right yet especially for my needs.
I would want a phone that could technically work as two separate phones in every way.

I was hoping that the Pocophone F1 and I think the Huawei phones too could operate differently as they have a sort of second space. Two different logins as such.
I believe the Pocophone can set one user to one finger scan and another user to another finger scan and each one operates completely separate from each other. A genuine two phones in one.
But I am sure there is no way of having calls, mail, messages app notifications coming through from both together only via the currently open user.
Check out the Flossy Carter review and see. Best Youtube reviewer hands down.
Skip to 9.30

Carl.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There are dual SIM phone and dual SIM dual action phones (DSDA), I suspect you want a DSDA phone but I don't know a lot about them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom