1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shodan, Apr 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    So how do you use (eat) yours?

I have the DVD, freeview and the ps2 going through mine and out to a 5.2 speaker set. The .2 is because the sub out from the amp goes to a BFD and I utilise both outputs from there.
    Oh and the 3805 is plugged into the TV via scart S-vid input.

Obviously I know I'm only using about 1/10th of its capabilities so I thought I'd ask around and see how you folks use yours...

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you TV has very limited Inputs. Is Scart SVideo the best you can do with it?

My 3910 is DVI direct to the Hitachi 32PD5200. The Sony DVD R is component. The Sky + is via RGB Scart only because Sky are to cheap to include component. The 4th input is used by my new nifty security camera via composite. No visual sources are sent to the 3805 just the audio. The 3910 has Denon link for Movies 6.1 analouge for DVD Audio and SACD and Stereo pair for CD. The Sony has a co-axial digital input for sound and the Sky+ is connected via optical digital for the same reason i.e. they are too cheap to incude a co-axial output.

I'm hoping things will improve with the HD box they produce although I am not looking forward to dropping my 3910 down to component to makeway for the HD Sky box unless such a thing as a DVI switch exists of a good enough quality.

3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    My TV has RGB scart inputs but the best the 3805 can output is S-Video so that is what I use to turn my TV into a monitor for the use of the amp...

4. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    lol, strange post - not really like eating metal however I bet its softer than my mums cooking.

3805 i have is being used as an decoder for the pc really, with only the center on it. The left and right are on an C272 Nad power amp. DVD's i use the pc with digital bypass from the pc so no quality is lost down an opitcal cable. PS2 with s-videos into it as the PC as an s-video tv card, nothing better.

my setup at the moment is only 3.1 (left, center, right, sub)

5. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah from your 1st post it appeared that you fed all your devices video into the 3805 and used it as a video source to the TV. Am I correcct in thinking that you only have it connect to the TV via S Vid to use it to see the OSD of the Amp for things like Setup routines and only the audio from your sources goes to the 3805.

6. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've got mine setup as follows.

Component cable from Component TV out of amp into Component IN on Plasma.

Xbox - SVIDEO input.
    DVD Player - Component 2 input

This enables me to see settings and also upscale xbox to component quality.

Display won't show on screen if running in progressive mode.

Hope this helps.
    DVDCHILD

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550

That is exactly right! :smashin:

8. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use mine for Video at all (a shame should have got a discount) & in fact turn off the video processing when listening to Music.

DVD 1 - HDMI to Media Box
    DVD 2 - Scart to Media Box
    SKY+ - Scart to Media Box (considering adding a JS Box Scart to VGA or Component?)
    Laptop - into VGA port (messy through front panel!) - purely for surfin when I need to show the wife something! :eek:

Denon Link - DVD to AMP
    RCA - DVD 1 to AMP
    RCA - DVD 2 to AMP
    RCA - SKY+ - AMP
    Optical - SKY+ - AMP

Think that is it?

9. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Do you know many people who have tried the JS Scart to componant I am interested in this but wasn't sure if it actually improved the picture at all.

10. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite a few on this Forum (you should post a thread on the Plasma Forum). I was considering it at one point until I had Gordon around yesterday to ISF my screen.

Through conversation yesterday + the PQ enhancements after the ISF calibration I decided it's not worth it.

Gordon also stated that the JS boxes were first designed to take Scart & convert them into either VGA or Component for panels that didn't have a Scart board & this saved the expense of getting on fitted.

Also on my setup I would potentially only see minor if any improvements? so i've been told? (not sure need to see that for myself?) Therefore I am opting for a scaler in the future & not a JS box (unless someone can loan me a JS box to Test?)

The Scaler is a lot more expensive solution I know, but better results in the long term + much greater functionality with a scaler. Therefore I already have £150 in the pot saved up for my scaler :D

Conor.

11. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Conor

Thanks for the reply. as we seem to have similar kit I will take your advice and hold fire on the convertor. The scaler may well be an option. I read your post on the ISF calibration and you were obviously well impressed with the results. Maybe there is someone near me who offers the service.

Andy

12. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, I know Gordon travels the country & beyond! doing ISF calibration. I emailed him sometime ago & asked when he was next in the area to let me know. He charges a flat rate for calibration.

www.convergent-av.co.uk

Not sure where you are located but there is also a guy called Piers who also does calibration I am told?

www.homecinemaengineering.com

Just ask for an all in quote.

Conor.

13. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18