Using a Chromecast Audio as streamer and DAC

StephaneBosman

Hi

I'm new here, read quite a bit over the years, but never posted before.

I've got a hybrid home-cinema/hi-fi system, meaning for the 2 front floor-standings (Cabasse MC-40 Majorca), I go from the front pre-out of my Yamaha RX-V3067 into a Musical Fidelity M3i. The Musical Fidelity is there first and foremost to provide a full analog path from the Rega P6 to the Cabasse.

My CD's of old exist as FLAC rips on a Synology NAS. Until today I listened to them by using the DLNA streaming capability of the Yamaha.

I ran today an experiment by pluging a Chromecast Audio to the Musical Fidelity AUX3 input and having it stream and convert my FLAC files. I use the Synology app on Android to choose the music.

I did not expect this, but it does sound better than through the Yamaha. Now, I understand that "better" is a very subjective thing. It feels more agile, like sharper, more present.

For what it's worth, we just had a great time my wife and I listening to some music with that tonight.

It might very well be all subjective, but I'd like to know what others think of that.

Stéphane

larkone

Adding a DAC to the CCA will improve it further.

StephaneBosman

I suppose so, but at what cost? Given that it already sounds great, I don't suppose adding a cheap DAC would help that much.

larkone

I suppose so, but at what cost? Given that it already sounds great, I don't suppose adding a cheap DAC would help that much.
I added a £100 DAC (MF V-DAC) to one of mine and the difference is significant, another one I added a FIIO D3 (£30) and there is a smaller but still noticeable difference. The point is at £130 (assuming £30 for the CCA) for the more expensive setup or £60 for the cheaper version it is still significantly less that most manufactures streamers in a fancy box. Most of what you pay for is the fancy box and its marketing. At the end of the day it is digital until the DAC and it is only the DAC that has an effect on the sound - not the streaming side of the technology.

DECKARD71

I have a Yamaha 2067 and an integrated amp; connecting the Chromecast Audio directly to the amp improves the sound as you have also experienced. So I leave the Yamaha out of the equation for Music (except for 5.1 Music)

Last edited:

StephaneBosman

I have now replaced the Yamaha RX-V3067 by a Marantz SR7011. The reason was to get 4K connections convenience, Atmos and DTS:X.
The surprise is the sound difference. Much more detailed and lively. I do not have the expertise to know why. It can be many things:latest Audissey instead of old YPAO, the DAC, its implementation, the pre-amps, better peering with my Cabasse speakers, a bit of everything, no idea.
But the difference is really not subtle. Now better than the Chromecast audio in the M3i. The M3i is still the power amp for the front, of course.
As an aside, the only way to get Dolby Atmos in Netflix is with an Xbox!
I sold the Sony X800 together with the Yamaha.

DECKARD71

You can also get Atmos from Netflix using the TV App and then ARC to the receiver

StephaneBosman

You can also get Atmos from Netflix using the TV App and then ARC to the receiver
No, that only works with 2017 LG OLED and mine is 2016. Besides, I am not sure ARC allows ATMOS to go through.

DECKARD71

Yes, I get Atmos from Netflix via ARC from the TV to the receiver

dannnielll

Hi

I'm new here, read quite a bit over the years, but never posted before.

I've got a hybrid home-cinema/hi-fi system, meaning for the 2 front floor-standings (Cabasse MC-40 Majorca), I go from the front pre-out of my Yamaha RX-V3067 into a Musical Fidelity M3i. The Musical Fidelity is there first and foremost to provide a full analog path from the Rega P6 to the Cabasse.

My CD's of old exist as FLAC rips on a Synology NAS. Until today I listened to them by using the DLNA streaming capability of the Yamaha.

I ran today an experiment by pluging a Chromecast Audio to the Musical Fidelity AUX3 input and having it stream and convert my FLAC files. I use the Synology app on Android to choose the music.

I did not expect this, but it does sound better than through the Yamaha. Now, I understand that "better" is a very subjective thing. It feels more agile, like sharper, more present.

For what it's worth, we just had a great time my wife and I listening to some music with that tonight.

It might very well be all subjective, but I'd like to know what others think of that.

Stéphane
Is this not a comparison between the amplifier in the Yamaha and in the Music Fidelity rather than a comparison between DACs.? It would be difficult to believe that the DAC in the Yamaha was inferior to that in the chromecast.

StephaneBosman

Is this not a comparison between the amplifier in the Yamaha and in the Music Fidelity rather than a comparison between DACs.? It would be difficult to believe that the DAC in the Yamaha was inferior to that in the chromecast.
The difference might be in the pre-amps, since the Yamaha fed the Musical Fidelity through its front pre-out to the HT by-pass of the Musical Fidelity.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom