1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using A Card Reader

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by gwen bramley, Jul 31, 2004.

1. gwen bramley

gwen bramley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the advantage of using a card reader? Will it speed up the process of downloading photos or can this be done equally well direct from the camera? Does this depend on the type of camera - eg whether or not it uses a cradle?

PS I'm new to digital photography as you've probably guessed!!!

Thanks a lot.

Gwen B

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    In most cases a camera will have a USB1.1 interface for connecting to the PC. The newer card readers will tend to be USB2.0 so if your PC has USB2.0 ports then yes the transfer will be much quicker. If you don't have USB2.0 then the chances are that the card reader will be slightly faster, but not a lot then the camera.
    One reason I don't connect my cameras directly to the PC is because you often need to use the supplied software, or at least install drivers for the camera to be recognised. Also if doing a lot of transfering you will be running the camera off its battery, that could go flat half way through!

IMO for the sake of £10-£20 you may as well just get a card reader as they make my life at least a lot easier.

Mark.

3. gwen bramley

gwen bramley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Thanks a lot for the info on card readers. I do have a USB 2.0 port so I'll definitely get a card reader along with my camera (when I've made my mind up on which make/model to get!).

Cheers

Gwen B :hiya:

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Hi Gwen have a look at this thread here I was wondering somthing similar.