1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a camcorder for live video feed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by martrob, Feb 5, 2002.

1. martrob

martrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been asked about the logistics of using a camcorder to relay a wedding ceremony from one room to a TV in another. Is there anything which I need to bear in mind other than getting long leads???

All help appreciated.

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's certainly possible, I've used my old (Panasonic) VHS-C machine for similar purpose.

If you are not taping at the same time, then you might find the camcorder switches itself off after a time. Mine did this every 10 minutes or so, and I had to keep switching it back on.

If you taping at the same time, this was not a problem.

Good luck (It's not your wedding is it?)

Cheers

Laurel

3. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few issues to bear in mind.

1) Use the best quality cables you can, as long leads tend to degrade the signal.

2) Try to use an S-Video cable as this will give you a better picture.

3) As has already been stated you will need a tape in the machine and you will need to be recording outherwise your camcorder will probably turn itself off.

4) If batter life is a concern, take an extension lead and run your kit from the mains

5) Make sure you have a tripod - holding a camera will just look shabby - especially for that ammount of time!

6) Try to go to the rehearsal and test the the thing out.

7) Be aware that if there is music being amplified through a PA and or hearing aid loop, sometimes this can cause interference when using long cables - thats why its good to test it out at the rehearsal!

8) Make sure you have the appropriate leads to connect to the TV - some older TV's may be lacking in inputs

Hope this helps :)

4. martrob

martrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback .

It's not my wedding laurel, I think I'd have passed this concern on to someone else if it was - Oh, that's whats happened!

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    martrob

Good luck with it anyway.

Remember to keep the zoom under control on the bridesmaids cleavage.

:eek:

Laurel

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Buy some black Gaffer tape (duck tape will do) and make sure you tape down any cables where people might trip over them. It is good courtesy to check with the duty manager at the venue that its OK to tape over their carpets and floors

For equipment safety, loop the cable round a table leg at each end. If Uncle Fred snags a cable on the way back from the bar then neither the camcorder or TV will come crashing to the floor.

Check you have the correct adapter to plug into the TV.

Use good quality cables - Yes. But S-video doesn't travel well over more than 10 metres, so an ordinary composite would be a better choice. Most people won't notice the difference anyway.

Shoot from the side, with a clear shot of the bride and groom. This allows good close ups of the exchange of wedding rings as well as seeing their expressions. Avoid shooting with a window behind the subjects.

If sound is important then try to use a directional microphone. It will reduce the sound of you handling the camera as well as getting better sound from the subjects.

Finally, DO record the event. Someone is bound to ask for a copy later at the reception.

Enjoy the day.

Regards