1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a calibration disk?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bazzae123, May 14, 2003.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using a calibration disk, say Avia, how do you know which parameters to change. Do you require a service manual to understand the abbreviations in the TV's service menu, or does the disk explain what bits to adjust?

Bazza

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    If you don;pt know what to adjust you shouldn't be there.......

Gordon

The DISC tells you which paramters to adjust in USER controls. Where they are available. What is it you are trying to do?

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you mean adjusting the geometry, service manuals don't tell you... in many TVs the menu is self-expanatory. If in doubt don't touch! If however you feel confident, others on the forum with a similar model of TV should be able to help ;)

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, That's why I'm asking as much as possible before I buy a disk/if I buy a disk. Everybody says have a disk to set-up the TV to get the best performance and doing so can increase its potential enormously. As the set has just had a new tube fitted and the engineer is coming today to sort out the really bad geometry I though if it could leave the workshop in that state then I don't hold much hope of them spending to much time on adjusting it to the best possible state, whereas if I could find out what to do I can spend many a happy hour messing about until I'm happy and know it can't be made any better. All I would like to do is set the geometry and colour if I'm not happy after the engineer has left. I know I could say I'm still not happy but they could turn around and say there's nothing more that can be done. I would have to take their word for it if I couldn't clarify it myself. If, at the end of the day, I can't find any info on what to do I will have to live with it. I'm not going to blindly play around.

regards

Bazza

5. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, I guy came round spent 2 minutes playing around and then decided I needed a new tube. Here we go again.

Bazza

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :rolleyes: Oh dear! Good luck... :suicide: