Using a budget HD receiver as a pre?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gavp, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As the title suggests I am planning to purchase a HD receiver that has multichannel pre outs to use with my power amp.

The Onkyo and Marantz pre/pros are too expensive so was wondering if anyone had done this and what receiver you had gone for?

Another question that is puzzling me at the moment is the lack of information on the DSP chips that decode the HD format audio.

You can see information for the single 32 bit floating DSP chip or dual 32 bit chip (my old meridian 568 had 4 48 bit chips??) that I presume decode the standard Dolby Digital etc but none on the HD stuff??

So its not the power rating of amp I'm interested in but its processing power and any other useuful features?

I guess the choices are:

Yamaha DSP-AX763
    Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Onkyo TX-SR706
    Pioneer VSX-1018AH
    Harmon Hardon AVR-255
    Denon AVR-2309
    Marantz SR5003 (although it says it doesn't 7.1 pre out it does on the picture??)

2. themystical

themystical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am really interested in this too if there is any experience out there. The question for me is which of the listed receivers have the best analogue outputs irrespective of the quality of the power amp sections. My own suspicion is that the current recommendations say more about the quality of the power amp sections in the receivers rather then the quality of the DAC's or processors.

3. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've done a bit more research and the Onkyo's for example increase the number of DSP chips the higher up the range you go so has someone compared the 606, 706 & 876?

I read somewhere on here someone bought a Denon 2309 as a pre/pro but sold it to obtain a 2809 as it had more powerful processing as well as an extra DSP chip.

The Harmon Kardon is really intriguing me as I've heard great things about Logic 7, the links with Lexicon and the size of the parent company.

I'm not too bothered about hdmi inputs as the only my BD will go into the amp via hdmi, not massively bothered about fancy auto set up features, just the ability to set speaker crossovers/have bass mgmt

I'm thinking I should change the thread title to what receiver offers the best processing for the cheapest price without paying the extra for the amplification and other non necessary gubbins! :D