• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Using a AV amp to play music/film in 2 ch stereo / Yamaha DSP-AX763

duncano

Novice Member
Hey there - Basically i want to run a stereo pair from a home cinema amp.

Theres a couple of potential ones ive seen (Yamaha DSP-AX763) - hoping that the Mrs will like what she hears and let me stick some more speakers in the front room for surround sound (!)

Ive told that the Yamaha will run in 2ch mode for music or CD etc - is this standard for all home cinema amps? or is it just a case of plugging in speakers in L + R into a home cinema amp (and no other speakers) and it will be stereo???

I want to run Laptop > TV via HDMI.... TV > Home cinema amp via coax and still have true stereo. You know those mad Beatles records aint the same with the crazy panning

Thanks!
Duncan

D

Deleted member 39241

Yes. Any AVR will work as a stereo amp if you only connect front left and right speakers.

Your plan should work fine. Connecting the source to the TV and passing the audio out of the TV to the amp is an option. Or, you could connect the source to the amp and pass the video to the TV. Or, you could run separate connections from the source, one to the TV for video and one to the amp for audio.

Some methods may sound better than others, or they all may sound exactly the same, but you can experiment and see what works best for you.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
In addition to only connecting the stereo speaker pair, you also need to the AVR that all the other potential speakers are not present (aka None) in the speaker setup menu. The surround sound AVR will them behave as a stereo amplifier.

This is mandatory functionality for every AVR, there are no exceptions.

D

Deleted member 39241

Although the exception being that all AVR's can still be set to play in stereo mode even if they have multiple speakers connected, and even if other speakers are set as present in the speaker set up menu.

For example, I have a 7.1.2 set-up on my Arcam AVR, but when I use it to listen to music I just set it to stereo direct mode. Thankfully I don't have to faff about in the speaker set up menu every time.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As above as long as you configure the AVR settings you can run the AVR in 2.0 (No Sub) or 2.1 (with Sub) mode.

I guess the big question is how well does the AVR perform for Stereo playback vs. a Stereo Amp with a Digital Input and which is the best long term option for you - have a look at the Yamaha A-S or R-N options, HiFi Components - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

With a Digital Output on the TV plus a Digital Input on the Stereo amp you can use the TV as the switching hub for your Video Sources.

Joe

duncano

Novice Member
Thanks everybody for your replies - You have been a great help!! I used to be all into this stuff but these days im geeking out about fruit trees and flogging moonshine instead!!

JOE - My first thought was to get a amp with a digital in but have you seen the price of them!! Crazy - especially ones with a remote too. And bluetooth or digital radio is just bells and whistles. Bluetooth is sh*te anyway!

Quality is important though - getting my record deck back out and avoiding poorly coded digital music files will make all the difference :) I miss the smell of it #VinylSniffersAnonymous

Thanks MARK, RAMBLES + JOE

Best wishes
Duncan

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A decent Yamaha Stereo Amp with Phono Input, Digital Input and Remote Control can be had for £250.00.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom