• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Using a 4 way splitter

wilkybobs

Established Member
I have one downlead (approx 10mtrs) to a TV and have wired off from that at the moment to a 3 way splitter at rear of TV to supply 2 other rooms and signal /picture is good.
I want to now get a fourth room supplied and have been told that I might get signal loss on the 4th. I have a difficult wiring job to do all this from the Mast and that is why I have took them from the original good cable at the rear of the first TV by a splitter there.
I have a friend who has a spare 4 way 10db screened Masthead Amp type splitter PUM141 with a PSU for it, can I use this as a normal 4 way splitter to test to see if the 4th TV is OK and if the signal is not good could I fit the PSU at the rear of the TV to boost the signal instead of at the Mast?.

Any help much apprieciated.

WB

raydawson

Established Member
It should work fine. Masthead amplifiers are designed to work from a remote power supply and be as near the aerial as possible. In your case, as long as you don't have a large signal drop on the downlead, it will do what you want behind the TV.

Be aware that masthead amplifiers usually use F connectors so you may have to change all the connectors on the cables behind the TV. The power supply usually has belling type in and out connectors.

No reason why it shouldn't be left as a permanent installation if it works.

Cheers,

Ray D

wilkybobs

Established Member
Thanks Ray ,the power supply has both In/TV ports in F/type so Not as much loss I suppose either on that score. I'll give it a go this weekend but didn't want to waist allot of time wiring if not compatable behind the TV.

Cheers
WB.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom