1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using 5.1 PC speakers for TV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Pezerinno, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I'm planning on buying either a Sharp LC-26GA4E 26” LCD TV or the 32" version for the computer room along with a Thomson DHD-8000 PVR. As my computer will be next to the tv I was hoping I could get 5.1 surround sound through my logitech Z5500 pc speakers. Would this be possible? or would I only get stereo sound? Would I plug in the speakers to the PVR or to the telly itself? Would I need anything else (cables?)

Thanks! :)

2. nathanelb

nathanelb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similarly to you, I would like to connect some PC speakers, probably the Logitech Z-680s, to a Panasonic 42" Viera plasma TV.
    As far as I can tell, PC speakers generally seem to be more well-featured (e.g. Dolby Digital, THX) compared to home theatre speaker sets in the same price range.

I assume the cables provided with PC speakers are different from the ports on the TV, so some alternative ones would be needed. Alternatively, I think the speakers could be connected to the DVD player, and hopefully can be used for watching TV as well as DVDs.

Does anyone use this setup, and be kind to pass on some tips?

Thanks

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The logitech Z5500 are just an updated set of Z-680s - I think they're basically the same. Would we be able to keep the speakers plugged into the computer as well as the tv at the same time?