Question Using 4OHM speakers on a 6OHM amplifier?

D

Deleted member 818121

The system is a tacky looking MHC GT444 from Sony however it's internal guts are not bad, has a Sanyo SKT430-330 which does 100W RMS x3 @ 0.4 THD or 150W RMS @ 10% THD, clearly i would like to stick with 100W RMS.
It does mention this amp can drive 4OHM also but as a package it has an 8inch 6OHM 150W Sub, and 2 PA style 150W 6OHM speakers which have dedicated mid bass drivers, a full range driver each and horn loaded tweeters.

There is a video some random dude uploaded of my exact system. It's very loud, just not for easy listening or home theater use as is.

My plan is to get a more HiFi sound from this system, so that means throwing the sub and set of speakers it originally came with out and giving the amp something decent to drive instead.
Overall the system as is sounds like a home PA system... it's bass is rib shaking due to how much mid bass there is but does not hit lower than 40hz. The Sub provided is in a crappy designed box, plus the cabinets are not serviceable since they are glued and have no screws.

Looks i don't mind since i can mod stuff.
I want to also spend as little as possible.

Dayton Audio are they only available in the US?

No not now, i have a better one though how about you delete my account or tell me how to do it myself?

Thank you.

Not once have i received any help, was here asking for help once last year, same thing.

Kind regards.

No not now, i have a better one though how about you delete my account or tell me how to do it myself?

Thank you.

Not once have i received any help, was here asking for help once last year, same thing.

Kind regards.
You posted this thread at 11.16pm last night, how quick did you expect a response realistically?

Christ that was awful.

Best bet would be sell it to a chav and start from scratch.

The system is a tacky looking MHC GT444 from Sony however it's internal guts are not bad, has a Sanyo SKT430-330 which does 100W RMS x3 @ 0.4 THD or 150W RMS @ 10% THD, clearly i would like to stick with 100W RMS.
It does mention this amp can drive 4OHM also but as a package it has an 8inch 6OHM 150W Sub, and 2 PA style 150W 6OHM speakers which have dedicated mid bass drivers, a full range driver each and horn loaded tweeters.

My plan is to get a more HiFi sound from this system, so that means throwing the sub and set of speakers it originally came with out and giving the amp something decent to drive instead....

Dayton Audio are they only available in the US?

Sorry, you haven't gotten much for serious responses, but ...sadly... we can not take a system like that seriously. However, at some point in our lives we have all been their. Just starting out with limited budgets.

Can I first ask, do you have this system or are you currently considering buying it?

If you currently do NOT have this system, then give us a working budget, and perhaps we can come up with Better Alternatives.

There is a problem with the Subwoofer, in that it likely does not have any amps in it. It is a Passive Subwoofer. When you go to get a replacement Sub, it likely will have Amps built-in.

If you get an Active Sub, then make sure it has High-Level/Speaker-Level inputs. Though there are many Subs that have both High/Speaker Level and Standard Low/Line Level (RCA) inputs.

Dayton Audio does have International Distribution, but that I'm aware of only the speaker/driver components are available, not completed speakers, though I confess I have never look for completed Dayton speakers, they may be available in the UK/EU.

Can you give us some idea of what Speakers and Subwoofers you are considering as replacements?

We will try to help, but at the same time, we don't usually deal in Boom-Boxes.

As to 4 Ohms speakers, don't go out of your way to buy specifically 4 ohms speakers. Yes amps put out more power to 4 ohms but that is because they are sucking more current. The limitation on the Amp is actually voltage, and that voltage limit is the same whether you are using 4 ohm, 6 ohm, or 8 ohms speakers.

Now if you end up with 4 ohm speakers - fine. But don't specifically seek them out because you feel there is some advantage. There isn't. 6 ohm or 8 ohm speakers are a better choice.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Sorry, you haven't gotten much for serious responses, but ...sadly... we can not take a system like that seriously. However, at some point in our lives we have all been their. Just starting out with limited budgets.

Can I first ask, do you have this system or are you currently considering buying it?

If you currently do NOT have this system, then give us a working budget, and perhaps we can come up with Better Alternatives.

There is a problem with the Subwoofer, in that it likely does not have any amps in it. It is a Passive Subwoofer. When you go to get a replacement Sub, it likely will have Amps built-in.

If you get an Active Sub, then make sure it has High-Level/Speaker-Level inputs. Though there are many Subs that have both High/Speaker Level and Standard Low/Line Level (RCA) inputs.

Dayton Audio does have International Distribution, but that I'm aware of only the speaker/driver components are available, not completed speakers, though I confess I have never look for completed Dayton speakers, they may be available in the UK/EU.

Can you give us some idea of what Speakers and Subwoofers you are considering as replacements?

We will try to help, but at the same time, we don't usually deal in Boom-Boxes.

As to 4 Ohms speakers, don't go out of your way to buy specifically 4 ohms speakers. Yes amps put out more power to 4 ohms but that is because they are sucking more current. The limitation on the Amp is actually voltage, and that voltage limit is the same whether you are using 4 ohm, 6 ohm, or 8 ohms speakers.

Now if you end up with 4 ohm speakers - fine. But don't specifically seek them out because you feel there is some advantage. There isn't. 6 ohm or 8 ohm speakers are a better choice.

Steve/bluewizard
Steve,

Great response, but futile as the member has been deleted and is no longer.

You waited about 8 hours for a response. That's not much time. Also, why delete your account every time? Just let the account ride and stop using it. Later if you have another question or comment, the account is there to use. No need to create a new account every time.

We will try to help anyone and everyone, but you haven't given us much to work with.

What is it specifically you want to know?

Are you concerned about the Amps?

Are you concerned about the speakers?

I looked through your entire post and only saw ONE Question Mark, and that was concerning Dayton speaker distribution. So, with no question, there is nothing to answer. With no budget we have no framework to place our answers in.

Perhaps you did not get an answer to your question because ... you never really asked a question?

And while some might think this system beneath them. I suspect if you ask legitimate questions someone will try and answer them. Or at least I, if no one else, will try and answer them.

Give us a sentence that end with "?" and we will give you a statement that ends with "!".

Sorry you didn't get the help you were looking for.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Steve,

Great response, but futile as the member has been deleted and is no longer.

True but he can still come back and read our response, and that might help him the next time he decides to create an account an post a (non-)question.

You did notice that he never once asked a question. Hard to answer a question that was never asked.

Steve/bluewizard

You're such a nice guy, Steve. I kinda feel bad now. Kinda.

You're such a nice guy, Steve. I kinda feel bad now. Kinda.

I don't.

His attitude stank and he just threw his toys out of the pram when his needs weren't instantly met.

It's unreasonable to post a query at 11 pm and expect an immediate response, people do need to sleep! As well as that, it's very common to receive few or no replies to a query depending on the topic involved. It's not personal and nobody's judging you as beneath them.

He chose to leave, no one forced him to.

Even the worst of modern kit is orders of magnitude better than an early 1960s Dansett or Cossor . Having read through his "request", I am forming the view that it was a troll.

Christ that was awful.

Best bet would be sell it to a chav and start from scratch.

Nah - they wouldn't buy it except maybe off the back of a truck... better leaving near an open window if you want rid of it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom