Using 3rd party joysticks with Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by sunnybacon, Jan 29, 2009.

1. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Hi,
    I was looking to buy another controller, until I spotted that 5-year-old Logitech Attack 3 joystick lying on my desk (this one):
    [​IMG]

Then I thought, why not plug it in to the PS3, it's worth a try. And so I did. And much to my surprise, it worked!!!!
    The joystick itself controls the left analog stick, the X button by the trigger, the square, circle and triangle by 3 of the buttons on the top of the joystick. Start and Select are those 2 buttons at the front of the base, and L1, L2, R1 and R2 are cleverly controlled in the buttons on the sides of the base, which coincidentally are in the same positions as the controller.

The only 4 functions it has not got are the arrow keys - no big issue, not necessary, SIXAXIS - again don't really use, the right analog stick - I need this for things like Super Stardust HD and paintballing on LBP, and finally, the PS button.
    Anyone know if there's any way of mapping buttons on the PS3? :confused:
    And also, what are your experiences with other joysticks on the PS3? :thumbsup:

2. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Without ps button support it's a pretty pointless affair. You need a joypad/stick board with a ps button input on it.

3. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Why? Turning off system etc. can be done from one of my actual controllers. The sole aim of getting this joystick to work is so me and my brother can play 3 player games with our cousin, who comes round quite a lot.

So, anyone got any ideas or their own experience with joysticks?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    you can't remap buttons, so there's no chance it'll work. Where are you going to get the second analog stick from?

5. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    That's the problem. Hopefully Sony will add some kind of remapping support in a future update, because what I was thinking was I could move the joystick for the left stick, and hold down an unused button to use the joystick for the right stick. Granted, it's not brilliant, but it's not going to be used as much as the actual controllers - just when we want to do 3 player games with our cousin.

6. tigandken

tigandken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Great - I'd wondered about this. I'm going to try my X52 on it this weekend.

Attached Files:

• x52.jpg
      x52.jpg
      Size:
      105 KB
      Views:
  7. Johnboy_1975

Johnboy_1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No chance. Even if sony released the update (btw don't think its somehting they can update - it would be within the joystick) the games would be unplayable as you often need to use both sticks at the same time. (Or within a very short space of time)

You can get away with using it for games which do not use the right stick, or minimal use ie LBP, 2D platformers and driving games

8. sunnybacon

sunnybacon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Just played LBP, it was absolutely fine. Only things I can't play with it are the paintball levels. Also, you're missing the facial expressions and motion stuff, but that's no biggie :smashin:
    Played FIFA as well, can't do skills but still this is ideal for when a 3rd person comes round :thumbsup: